[NCUC-DISCUSS] Another chat with the CEO/any comments?

Kathy Kleiman kathy at kathykleiman.com
Wed May 24 14:26:01 CEST 2017

Hi Farzi,

Great question from Renata. My question has to do with Compliance. More
and more people are coming to ICANN to do more and more. It all sounds
good: "anti-abuse," "law enforcement," "protecting copyright and
trademark." But a lot of the requests amount to massive limitations on
Free Expression and Free Speech -- and procedurally, bringing ICANN into
the regulation of content.  The Consumer Trust Review Team
recommendations, if adopted, would make ICANN into the greatest global
monitor of content ever.

Fadi flatly refused this role for ICANN - telling Washington, Wall
Street and the world that ICANN manages and oversees the infrastructure
of the Internet, but not what it is used for -- the roads, bridges and
tunnels, but not what is being carried within a car (his analogy).

With Goran, how does he see these enormous and very passionate pressures
to bring ICANN into the global content monitoring (and takedown) debate?
What will he do to protect the traditional lines and limits of ICANN?
How does that "square" with the work of Jaime Hedlund in Compliance and
its expanding role?

Best and tx,

Kathy