[NCUC-DISCUSS] Deadline for WSIS proposals is tomorrow - here are some ideas for the NCUC to consider proposing

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Wed Mar 1 07:35:43 CET 2017

Hi

Thanks Ayden for taking the initiative here.  Since proposals are due today (and this was an extension of the original deadline) I would suggest a path of least resistance approach, i.e. a topic for which a) we already have a perfectly fine text, b) that is interesting enough to pull a crowd (and in the ITU context mildly subversive), and c) can quickly be populated with the names of members likely to be there.  At the 2016 IGF NCUC did a workshop on "The power of the noncommercial users on the Internet" https://igf2016.intgovforum.org, which in some ways echoed the one we did at the 2013 IGF on "Civil Society in ICANN’s Multistakeholderism: The GNSO Case" http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/wks2013/workshop_2013_status_list_view.php?xpsltipq_je=249.  You could re-use either of these descriptions whole cloth or combine them or tweak one, whatever, doesn’t matter— the ITU staff that do the program will not know or care that we did them elsewhere.  And I think they would welcome something that is focused on the role of CS per se in governance processes, as the secretariat would like to be more open to CS than some of the louder members are, at least optically.

With a topic like this, you don’t have to worry about getting the precisely right blend of expertise, as per Farzi’s comment on your first proposal below.  All of us can talk about the role and contributions of CS in ICANN or IG generally.  You could just toss in names of people who’ll be there, and if you decide later you want a different mix tweak if after it’s accepted. I assume you and Renata plan to attend, and I expect to be doing another WS and could speak to this if you like. Not sure who else is coming but you could poll quickly and send such a thing by COB.

Anyway, just as a suggestion.  If you prefer to go another way fine but this approach would be easy to do in the next ten hours.

BTW speaking of ICANN @ IGF, the Nominating Committee is hosting a reception tonight at 18:30 after the Open Consultation.  If anyone will be in attendance come drink some Genevois white wine (skip the red) and say hello.

Best

Bill