[NCUC-DISCUSS] Cross Community Discussion/ Geographic Names at the Top Level Session II

farzaneh badii farzaneh.badii at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 10:19:22 CEST 2017

Dear all,

I think as the noncommercial group we have not paid enough attention to the
issue of Geographic names at the top level.By claiming sovereignty over Geo
names, governments will claim the Geo names. If we do not wake up and get
active, we will not be able to rescue the generic names that happen to be
Geo names as well.

Today there will be a cross-community session and they will discuss various
important issues but some of the questions are important and I recommend
NCUC members attend the session. I have attached the agenda and some of the
questions that will be addressed are copied below:

17:00 Key Geo Names Issues to Address in the PDP

1. What makes a string a “geographic name”?

2. When can a geographic name:

● Be applied for;

● Be delegated to a particular applicant?

3. If there are simultaneous applications for a geographic name, how should
this be

resolved?

4. How could “geographic use” be distinguished from “generic use”?

5. How can commitments to restrict a TLD to non-geographic use be monitored
and enforced?

Best

Farzaneh