[NCUC-DISCUSS] Important note on Privacy at ICANN

farzaneh badii farzaneh.badii at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 22:34:50 CEST 2017

Dear All,

As this blog post shows
https://www.icann.org/news/blog/dialogues-on-the-evolving-data-privacy-and-protection-regulations
ICANN
is now thinking about how to comply with the European General Data
Protection Regulation ahead of the time. Which is good news because they
might, after all, do something about privacy.

But, and I mentioned this to the CEO, they are working with the registries
and registrars and I am not sure with who else. We are not sure when and
where registrants are represented in this task force:

" At the direction of ICANN president and CEO Göran Marby, we formed an
internal GDPR Task Force comprised of senior leaders and subject matter
experts to focus on this important matter. This team is focused on parallel
tracks: *contracted parties and engagement, and the ICANN organization*. In
relation to the latter, an internal review of our operations is currently
underway."

Also the blog invites the Johannesburg attendees and remote participants to
the cross community session on GDPR. I was involved with organizing that
session and I argued repeatedly to have a  registrant representative on
that panel (Stephanie) to no avail. At least I managed to insert
"registrants" in the description and the group supported that addition. So
I criticized the way it was arranged. But I do encourage you to attend it:
https://schedule.icann.org/event/B3ot/gdpr-and-its-potential-impact-looking-for-practical-solutions

Best

Farzaneh