[NCUC-DISCUSS] intersessional meeting

David Cake dave at davecake.net
Mon Jul 31 09:37:57 CEST 2017

> On 29 Jul 2017, at 6:23 pm, Ayden Férdeline <icann at ferdeline.com> wrote:
>
> I don't want to belabour the point too much, because we all have different perspectives on the value of the Intersessional and the reason why it is held, but personally, I do not see the Intersessional as a form of outreach. We are not looking to bring new voices into the fold at this meeting. Rather, we are looking to meet for a few days to plan ahead and to collaboratively strategise without the distraction of emails.

	Agreed. Where outreach happens to occur, it is fine, but mostly it is a distraction.

> So I see no real reason for there to be geographic rotation of the Intersessional, unless it is to share the burden of long travel journeys.

	I am, however, in a probably minority who likes the idea of sharing the burden of long travel journeys (as I’ve been on the losing side of that for every intersessional so far, and expect to be for every future one I attend unless that changes.

> What we do want, however, is exposure to and contact with senior ICANN staff, and from I understand, they are present at the ICANN hubs, but less so at the engagement centres. For that reason, I think Los Angeles makes the most sense for the coming Intersessional, but given the difficulty of travel to the US at the moment for many, perhaps Mexico City is an easier and just as economical option — and not so far away from LA that we might be able to get a few senior ICANN staff to join us, too.

	Some ICANN staff are definitely will to travel. Some are not. I’m happy with some via dedicated video link up, as was done for some in Reykjavik.

	Note that access to ICANN senior staff isn’t always great if they are not appropriately prepared for the meeting. I remember Tarek spending time with us when we were first in LA mostly just angering attendees with an inappropriate presentation and minimal interaction.

	David