[NCUC-DISCUSS] Facebook as an obligatory requirement for being ICANN60 fellow

thomascovenant thomascovenant at thomascovenant.org
Fri Jul 28 00:17:01 CEST 2017

Hi Ginger,

I was asked not to raise this discussion among fellows by Siranush, and
I comply with his request:

>refrain sending group e-mail, and making spam for everybody (email
quoted earlier)

However, this Facebook issue is valid and rules should be open for
questioning. Addressing it with larger support could mean that it is not
regarded as spam, but rather as change in the community and awareness,
something worth looking into.

I started a thread here since it could help open the discussion and
point towards the formal procedure within ICANN to look into changing
this obligatory requirement on a general level.

It should be possible for every single fellow to opt out of Facebook
without loosing their fellowship. Asking for NCUC input seemed logical.

I see current FB requirement as discriminating towards FOSS, privacy and
ethical hacking community involvement within ICANN - as well as citizens
of censorship countries.

Your support on this is greatly appreciated.

Dina Solveig Jalkanen

* You are absolutely right, I could have included the emails from ICANN
Fellowship Program manager to new fellow list in my first post to make
this thread easier to read. o/
* I see your point of including Program manager in the discussion, I
will share this thread with him if he is not already on the list. I have
also replied privately and going into more detail on privacy issue.

--
* * *
thomascovenant