[NCUC-DISCUSS] Selection of ICANN meeting venues and dates

Rafik Dammak rafik.dammak at gmail.com
Sat Jul 8 22:44:46 CEST 2017

Hi Farzaneh,

Thanks for this
1/ I am in favor of opening up a broader since some concerns were raised
before when meetings were moved. I guess that such effort will start by
reviewing the current guidelines. Adding more requirements about visa
access(and support) is needed. For holidays, I think that can be managed
more flexibly since it is about dates and not necessarily venues (as done
for Panama next year).
I think we can discuss more or less objective criteria starting with
comparison against indexes (e.g. for human rights, democracy etc) but that
still need to be discussed in more depth.

another topic would be about the transparency regarding assessment or
evaluations used by meeting team and board. in 2011 board decided to move
the meeting from Jordan to Singapore. It was at the time of "Arab Spring"
and it was not clear what kind of information got board leading to such
decision. Things improved later for the case of Morocco, Panama and Puerto
Rico but still.

2/ a CCWG will be an overkill. a work done by staff with regular input from
the community through public comments and/or public sessions would be
enough.

with regard to format, I think that is still early to state that was a bad
or good idea. I heard concerns too about the length but my interpretation
is: habits changes slowly (we get used to the previous format for years so
there will be resistance to new formats) and also that we are still trying
more and more sessions (a lot of internal meetings) even in a shorter
period.  the different SOs/ACs have their own scheduling in ICANN meetings
and it is interesting to see how they can fill every day by so many
sessions. cross-community sessions are starting to take shape while their
organization and planning still need more clarity and participation from
all parts.

Best,

Rafik