[NCUC-DISCUSS] [Call for Applications] NCUC Delegate for ICANN Nominating Committee

farzaneh badii farzaneh.badii at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 17:02:16 CEST 2017

Dear NCUC members,

Our NomCom representative, Bill Drake has served on 2016 and 2017 NomCom.
He is term limited and cannot serve another term in 2018. We thank Bill for
representing us on NomCom.

We need to select a representative for NomCom very soon. This is a call for
application for NCUC members to apply for this position for 2018. The
NomCom position is very important, as NomCom "is an independent committee
tasked with selecting eight members of the Board of Directors and other key
positions within ICANN's structure as are set forth in the Bylaws."

There are specific criteria for NomCom delegates as stipulated  in ICANN
> Bylaws and other sources :
>  “Section 8.4. CRITERIA FOR SELECTION OF NOMINATING COMMITTEE DELEGATES
> Delegates to the ICANN Nominating Committee shall be:
> 1. Accomplished persons of integrity, objectivity, and intelligence, with
> reputations for sound judgment and open minds, and with experience and
> competence with collegial large group decision-making;
> 2. Persons with wide contacts, broad experience in the Internet community,
> and a commitment to the success of ICANN;
> 3. Persons whom the selecting body is confident will consult widely and
> accept input in carrying out their responsibilities;
> 4. Persons who are neutral and objective, without any fixed personal
> commitments to particular individuals, organizations, or commercial
> objectives in carrying out their Nominating Committee responsibilities;
> 5. Persons with an understanding of ICANN's mission and the potential
> impact of ICANN's activities on the broader Internet community who are
> willing to serve as volunteers, without compensation other than the
> reimbursement of certain expenses; and
> 6. Persons who are able to work and communicate in written and spoken
> English.”
> Eligibility Exception - No person who is an employee of or
> paid consultant to ICANN (including the Ombudsman) shall simultaneously
> serve in any of the Nominating Committee positions as described in Article
> 8, Section 8.2 of ICANN’s Bylaws (https://www.icann.org/
> resources/pages/governance/bylaws-en/#article8).
> Other criteria (retrieved from the Nominating Committee email):
>
> - The person should be able to join monthly teleconferences (typically
> 15:00 or 16:00 UTC).  Note that the committee's workload will increase
> significantly during Apr/May/June 2017 when the candidate assessment
> process will be at its busiest. Conference calls are held more frequently
> (typically weekly and the duration of the calls may last up to 3 hours)
> during this time as well.
>
> - The person must be able to attend the NomCom selection meeting in late
> June 2018 during ICANN62 in Panama City, Panama.
>
> - The person should be willing to work in a large, consensus-oriented
> committee.

As you gather from the criteria above, it is very important that the
applicants for this position be active members of NCUC, involved with ICANN
and its various working groups and show proven interest in NCUC work and
understand the dynamics of ICANN and groups existing within ICANN.

Please write a statement of interest indicating how you fulfill the
criteria mentioned in ICANN bylaws and tell us about your experience at
NCUC and submit to me cc maryam.bakoshi at icann.org by 18 July.

Best

Farzaneh