[NCUC-DISCUSS] ICANN, TRAVEL, TRUMP

Edward Morris egmorris1 at toast.net
Mon Jan 30 23:40:23 CET 2017

With our Chair unable to safely attend the NCPH Intercessional meeting in
Reykjavik in two weeks time due to the American governments travel
restrictions (
http://lists.ncuc.org/pipermail/ncuc-ec/2017-January/003567.html ),  Milton
Mueller's take on "Internet Governance And Trump's Assault on International
Travel (
http://www.internetgovernance.org/2017/01/30/internet-governance-and-trumps-
assault-on-international-travel/ ) is of particular relevance to NCUC
members. Thank you, Milton, for writing it.

 We are in the early stages of this new administration. We still do not
know what the policy of this new American government will be towards ICANN
and our work. As an American corporation,  there are concerns immediate and
distant, operational and more theoretical, as to the impact of this
Republican government on ICANN. "America First" and "One World, One
Internet" just may be two slogans that can not be easily reconciled.

 As we wait and watch,  as a Constituency we need to be vigilante and
supportive of all our members. With the unstable nature of the United
States government,  I'd suggest the Board may have acted a bit too quickly
in approving Puerto Rico as a meeting site for ICANN 61. Some community
groups, including some in the noncommercial world,  are already considering
a boycott of ICANN 60 for other reasons.

 Regardless of what happens with both of these Meetings, I'd encourage our
NCUC leadership to demand that ICANN devote more resources to remote
participation. ICANN sponsored regional hubs may be part of a solution,
modern technology certainly is. Adobe Connect simply is no longer state of
the art. Although we need to be careful with the bandwidth limitations of
our members, we can and need to develop state of the art, ICANN specific
remote participation tools. It's one way to proactively adapt to the new
world environment.

 Thanks, again, Milton. More challenges for us to meet as we fight to
preserve noncommercial values such as free speech, privacy, due process and
fair use on the global internet.

 Kind Regards,

 Ed Morris