[NCUC-DISCUSS] RDS PDP WG Update

Ayden FĂ©rdeline icann at ferdeline.com
Sun Jan 29 17:51:19 CET 2017

Greetings, all-

Please find attached an update on the status of the Next-Generation Registration Directory Service Policy Development Process Working Group, as prepared by ICANN staff.

Since the last update was disseminated, the working group has been deliberating on purposes for "thin data". At the moment, a thin Whois output includes only a minimal set of data elements (which is not to say all of these elements should be collected or published), whereas a thick Whois output is broader and more expansive. In time we will deliberate on data elements and uses and purposes beyond those stored in thin data.

Our weekly call for 31 January has been postponed until 7 February to allow time for working group members to prepare for deliberations on the charter question on privacy. On this date, NCUC member Stephanie Perrin will be providing the working group with an introduction to data protection concepts related to this purpose.

I trust you find the attached update useful. New members and voices are always welcome in this working group, so please feel free to reach out off-list if you'd like to get involved. There are a number of NCUC and NCSG members who are involved in this working group who I'm sure would be happy to help you find your place. We also have an NCUC member, David Cake, on the leadership team for this working group.

Best wishes,

Ayden FĂ©rdeline
[linkedin.com/in/ferdeline](http://www.linkedin.com/in/ferdeline)