[NCUC-DISCUSS] FW: [NCUC-EC] Urgent - Anti harassment policy public comment

Mueller, Milton L milton at gatech.edu
Wed Jan 11 19:27:07 CET 2017

Sorry for being late with these comments but I’ve been busy and haven’t had time to read these until today.
I think Corinne’s draft is ok but it does not prominently deal with a major objection that was raised during the constituency’s discussion, namely the issue of whether the behavior is consensual.

What is in the draft now is at the end of the paragraph

“Similarly, consensual activities should not be covered by this policy.”

That statement  needs to be expanded and put at the beginning of the paragraph it is in. My suggestion:

“The policy as drafted contains a major oversight, in that it implies that certain kinds of behavior are not allowed per se. It completely overlooks the issue of whether the parties involved in hugging, touching, etc. are willing or consenting to the activity. The policy must make it clear that consensual activities are not covered by this policy.”

It makes more sense to put the business about “affirmative consent” _after_ that statement, as it clarifies what we mean by consent.

--MM