[NCUC-DISCUSS] English version of the Report of Benin DNS Forum 2016 is now available!

farzaneh badii farzaneh.badii at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 22:56:33 CET 2017

Thank you Michael.

I am not really sure if all right-based issues are controversial in certain
regions. For example, many of the noncommercial registrants (or even
commercial ones) don't know whom to go to when they have a dispute over
their domain name (due process). They don't know how they should respond to
copyright claims. Sometimes even ccTLDs use WIPO dispute resolution
mechanism which is held in English. So imagine an Iranian registrant of
ncuc.ir that has to go to WIPO and file a dispute in English. (example only)

Many rights of the noncommercial registrants can be discussed and protected
by NCUC at ICANN and they do not raise domestic controversy but also help
the noncommercial registrant users domestically. I think it would be good
to start a conversation about which rights are less politically sensitive
and need protection and add this to DNS forums that are held in various
regions. Or maybe a stand alone event would do too if DNS Forum is sacred.

Farzaneh