[NCUC-DISCUSS] Meeting with ICANN CEO

Stephanie Perrin stephanie.perrin at mail.utoronto.ca
Wed Feb 8 03:16:31 CET 2017

I agree with the below.  I think it is important to emphasize the
positive nature of our contributions, not ask embarrassing or
uncomfortable questions.  Fine to point out difficult problems, as long
as we can answer that key response question, "so what do you think we
should do about it?"

cheers Stephanie

On 2017-02-07 04:32, matthew shears wrote:

> Hi - inline
>

> On 07/02/2017 10:19, William Drake wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>>> On Feb 6, 2017, at 21:18, Mueller, Milton L <milton at gatech.edu
>>> <mailto:milton at gatech.edu>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Farzaneh:
>>> Your primary goal in this talk should be to make sure the new CEO
>>> understands who and what NCUC is, to solicit information from him
>>> about what attitudes (prejudices?) and perceptions he has about us,
>>> correcting any misperceptions he might have. So I would come up with
>>> some basic talking points about that. You need to make it clear why
>>> it is absolutely essential that the GNSO continue to be structured
>>> in a way that balances commercial and noncommercial and contracted
>>> and non-contracted parties, and why board and GAC interference with
>>> GNSO consensus policies after the fact is a bad thing.
> + 100
>>
>> Agree.  While I think he has some sense of what we’re about already,
>> given prior discussions, it’d be good to lock it the desired framing.
>>  And to invite him to Constituency Day.
>>> As a secondary priority, you might discuss the prohibition on
>>> content regulation and how we think the use of PICs might circumvent
>>> that.
> Agree
>>> You could emphasize our belief that in the new accountability
>>> arrangements, ACs such as ALAC were given too much power relative to
>>> the much larger and more diverse set of stakeholders in the GNSO,
>>> and how a ALAC/GAC alliance in certain bylaw disputes might thwart
>>> attempts to keep ICANN constrained within its mission.
>>
>> Unless my memory is foggy this morning we were not in uniform
>> agreement on these points, so if there’s time to get into them it
>> maybe qualified them as “some members are concerned that..”.
>
> Also, and while I largely agree with this, what is the point of
> bringing this up?  Are we asking for some review of the Accountability
> mechanisms?  Are we asking him  to keep an eye on their possible
> collusion?   If I were Goran I would say - and so what do you think
> should be done about this?
>
> Agree with Bill's qualification.
>
> Matthew
>

>> Best