[NCUC-DISCUSS] Meeting with ICANN CEO

Renata Aquino Ribeiro raquino at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 21:05:01 CET 2017

Hi

These questions I numbered, they all have the backdrop of something
which is quite urgent, and it's about ICANN as an international
community.
NCUC being a civil society space within ICANN, is expected to be a
voice for this international community.
This is to be reconciled with the recent government changes in the US.
If we are not to ask the hard questions, we should at least be
involved in the process of dealing with these hard challenges.
If there is any perception the CEO needs to have, that should be one.
The community is here and willing that ICANN remains open to
international participation.

But as I've mentioned before, I do not really mind if we don't go
straight to the details of meeting allocation, governments appointee
selection or other such issues. I'm afraid these problems will present
themselves in due time (i.e. all appointees are highly controversial
and Puerto Rico may run the risk of being highly unattended).

I also do understand that the CEO is a public figure, so I'm not
trying to pin guilt here, but a need for dialogue will only be more
important as absences like the Amicus Brief non-participation only
increase.

Best,

Renata

On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 2:38 PM, Edward Morris <egmorris1 at toast.net> wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ayden
>>
>>> On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 2:18 pm, Renata Aquino Ribeiro <'raquino at gmail.com'> wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I agree w/ Ed but also
>>>
>>> * With the visa travel ban, organizations such as IETF and ISOC are
>>> reviewing their actions for the time period the USA will be subject to
>>> their new president mandate, ICANN also issued a communiqué on this
>>> matter. What are the strategies in place to ensure international
>>> participation remains a reality in ICANN? Specifically updates on:
>>> 1) Will there be a contract with a visa agency to help with travel
>>> arrangements?
>>> 2) Will the meeting in Puerto Rico remain as planned? Couldn't it move
>>> to Mexico?
>>> 3) Will ICANN reassure its commitment to diversity, which NCUC is
>>> devoted to work towards too in WS2, and work on increasing
>>> participation and leadership position from developing and least
>>> developed countries and women?
>>> 4) ICANN jurisdiction being in the USA, can we be assured ICANN will
>>> try to safeguard legally its international status?
>>> 5) Is ICANN monitoring the transition process of the Secretary of
>>> Commerce, given that with the former appointee ICANN had extensive
>>> dialogue which ensured the IANA transition came to completion?
>>>
>>> [NCUC-DISCUSS] Meeting with ICANN CEO
>>>
>>> Edward Morris egmorris1 at toast.net
>>> Mon Feb 6 14:33:42 CET 2017

>>> ________________________________
>>>
>>> Hi Farzi,
>>>
>>> Here's one:
>>>
>>> Ninety seven American hi tech companies signed an amicus brief supporting
>>> the State of Washington's lawsuit against United States President Donald
>>> Trump (
>>> http://apps.washingtonpost.com/g/documents/business/amicus-brief-by-tech-com
>>> panies/2322/ ) and his travel ban.
>>>
>>> ICANN is an American high tech corporation impacted by the ban.
>>>
>>> Did:
>>>
>>> 1. ICANN consider joining with its fellow American hi tech companies in
>>> signing onto this brief?,
>>> 2. If so, why did it decide not to do so?
>>> 3. If not, why not?