[NCUC-DISCUSS] Meeting with ICANN CEO

Kathy Kleiman kathy at kathykleiman.com
Mon Feb 6 18:52:04 CET 2017

Hi Farzi,

I am glad that you have this meeting. I would like to know why the
efforts of the Consensus Policy continue to be undermined by ICANN
Counsel and Staff? For example, we negotiated limited protections for
trademark owners in New gTLDs. They were designed to prevent the massive
cybersquatting that trademark owners feared in the roll-out of hundreds
of new gTLDs in a short period of time.

(I should note that the mass chaos never occurred; nor the mass
cybersquatting.)

But ICANN Counsel and staff are unilaterally extending these policies
into areas they never belonged - into the legacy gTLDs. NCSG and CSG
filed a joint objection (courtesy of Ed Morris and Phil Corwin)
questioning the extension of the URS (Uniform Rapid Suspension) to older
gTLDs in their contract negotiations - a Consensus Policy extended
without rhyme or reason, public input nor discussion.

We are seeing similar work which ignores and shunts aside Consensus
Policies - particularly those balances and compromises that protect
noncommercial registrants and especially noncommercial speech, free
expression and trademark fair use online - in other areas as well. It
makes it very difficult and frustrating for volunteers to spend hundreds
of hours negotiating policies that are then thrown out, limited or
circumvented by other means available to ICANN.

I'm happy to discuss this with you further. I think this would be a
great area for discussion with ICANN's CEO.
Best,
Kathy