[NCUC-DISCUSS] A note from the Executive Committee - On Transparency and NomCom Selection Process

Michael Karanicolas mkaranicolas at gmail.com
Mon Aug 7 20:48:54 CEST 2017

Hi all,

Just to build on this discussion, I'd like to suggest a proposal for future
processes, to see what the community thinks. As noted in the above email,
there are two main concerns with expanding transparency in these processes.
The first concerns the potential impact on the candour of the deliberative
process, the second concerns whether having open discussions of candidates'
strengths and weaknesses might deter people from running for positions. I
think both of these are legitimate concerns. However, in designing
transparency systems, when we see potential harms like this, we don't
necessarily give up on trying to expand openness. Rather, we try and
develop a solution which avoids these harms, but which nonetheless provides
for a boost in openness.

I would propose that, for future nominations processes, after deliberations
have concluded, and the successful candidate(s) have been informed, the EC
collate the email discussions together and de-attribute them - so it is not
possible to determine which EC member said what, but that all comments are
preserved. These anonymized comments can then be sent to all candidates -
which will be helpful for them in assessing their own candidacy, and
potential areas of improvement. The candidates will then be asked if they
consent to the document being publicly distributed and *if they consent,*
it can then be made public.

My idea is that the de-attribution will prevent concerns that EC members
will be held personally responsible for critical assessments of candidates,
while the requirement for candidates' consent to disclosure will ensure
that, in cases where people are uncomfortable with what has been said about
them, they can keep it from being distributed.

Thoughts?

Michael Karanicolas