[NCUC-DISCUSS] Intercessional

Mueller, Milton L milton at gatech.edu
Mon Oct 24 14:30:04 CEST 2016

Tapani
Thanks for the information but I have to point out that you still have not made a reasonable case for having an intersessional meeting at all. What does it accomplish that could not also be done at a regular ICANN meeting or via remote participation tools?

If it is "already decided" to have one as you claim, then I have to insist that our leadership bring to the ICANN staff the objections of a substantial number of our members.

These meetings are a costly expenditure of time and money that cannot be justified based on the outcomes of. The travel time often exceeds the meeting time, and these gigantic holes in our calendars distract us from the actual policy development work the community is supposed to be doing. There may indeed be people in the NCSG who view ICANN as a free travel club, but I am not one of them, and neither are a lot of others here. We need to move away from that attitude. ICANN's GNSO exists for policy development, full stop.

Dr. Milton L. Mueller
Professor, School of Public Policy
Georgia Institute of Technology