[NCUC-DISCUSS] Intercessional

David Cake dave at davecake.net
Mon Oct 24 09:27:07 CEST 2016

> On 24 Oct 2016, at 3:15 PM, Tapani Tarvainen <ncuc at tapani.tarvainen.info> wrote:
>
> The preparation process is already well in the way, it is
> realistically too late for any really radical options.We clearly would like to get it out of the US, and that may be
> possible, but not easy. And the further from USA we propose, the more
> CSG will oppose it and the more likely we'll end up in the US after all.

	Its generally the case that short term practical discussion of the achievable will get mixed in with long term discussion of the desirable.

> I do appreciate that as seen from Africa or Asia or Australia it may
> not make much of a difference whether the meeting is in USA or Europe,
> but still I think there'd be useful symbolic significance in getting
> it out of the USA at least, even if not very far from there.

	I’m in favour of getting out of the US, all other things being equal. If that is all we can achieve, its better than nothing.

	And from my point of view, Reykjavik not too different to anywhere else in Schengen as far as practicality goes.

> That said, on general principles I think we should not always settle
> on "easy" locations, whether thinking of visa issues or average travel
> distances or whatever. There is value in diversity and indeed in
> demonstrating difficulties in different places, and I would not object
> to a meeting in Hobarth or La Paz or Kigali or Ulan Bator, or for that
> matter Verkhoyansk (that'd be cold enough even for Stephanie I think,
> with temperatures regularly below -60°C).

	While I’d never say no to Hobart (one of the most unique and interesting art museums in the world there, as well as great food, abundant and endearing wildlife, and beautiful scenery) I’m in favour of relatively practical easy to get to locations, as long as the definition of ‘easy to get to’ isn’t too US (or for that matter Europe) centric. But just getting out of the US is an achievement.

> But sometimes better is the enemy of the good, and while I have
> nothing against proposing any alternate locations, if the real choice
> ends up being between Reykjavík and USA, I'll vote for the former.
>
> Is there anybody here who'd really prefer the US in that case?

	I agree - between the two choices, I’d rather get out of the US. But we should keep pushing for more than that.

	David