[NCUC-DISCUSS] Intercessional

farzaneh badii farzaneh.badii at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 09:46:44 CEST 2016

Hello Ed,

Since you are quoting me and I was the one who can't spell the city name
you are mentioning and attended that meeting in place of Rafik I would like
to give you a response.

I insisted several times during the meeting that the meeting should be held
somewhere other than the US and even Europe. A cursory look at the NCPH
members (I do not want to single out constituencies and stakeholder groups,
you can see it for yourself) and leaders show most people who have key
roles reside in Europe and the US, and it extremely lacks diversity. We
have to get out of this bubble. The majority does not have always to win (
I have said something like that in that meeting and raised visa issues
since someone said the world is your oyster!). So I thought I recommend
Singapore. It is in Asia; it is easier for many to get visas and it is more
convenient for travelers in Asia and Africa, and attendees from North
America for once might have to go through the hurdle of a long flight. I
said *for once in the previous sentence* as intercessionals happened solely
in the US past three years ( I think) as Rob Hoggart said.

Now that I am thinking more about this, I am wondering why I did not
recommend Dushanbe. Dushanbe is in Tajikistan. Tajikistan and Turkmenistan
used to be the heart of great Persian poetry and literature,so close to my
heart. We don't have many members from Central Asia (if any) it would have
been nice to go there and do outreach. But flights are too expensive (from
Europe and the US), and budget wise we can't do that. Not an option then.
But you see how easy it is to cross out locations that don't make sense
budget wise and distance wise, but it is not easy to cross out locations
that are not visa friendly and not convenient for the minority? Schengen is
difficult to get for many people in Asia and Africa, and it subjects people
to provide many documents that the Europeans and Americans would have been
astounded if they knew about. Six months bank statement, guarantee, etc.
and to be honest not always visa applicants are treated with dignity when
they apply for Schengen. You don't hear it because the applicants are
either in the minority or there is no venue to voice concerns. We can't
just say: get a Schengen.  For 2017 intercessional we are going to have a
new EC member from Africa. Would be nice not to give that member as one of
the first EC tasks to apply for Schengen! You have always
been sympathetic to this issue whenever I raised it, and I thank you for
that.

I don't support going to a European or an American location at this time. I
am not against going to Iceland, but I am not for it either. Not because of
the city, it sounds wonderful and convenient, but because for once we might
want to get out of US and Europe. There is Internet in other places too.
Btw,  I checked the US State Department per diem (according to their
website), maybe we are looking at different things, but it is 386 USD per
day. It is an expensive city.Per diem for  Singapore , which is also an
expensive city,  is 288 USD.

I am going to follow an old Persian tradition ( I think the tradition is
not very rational, but it is quite interesting and amusing) and finish this
correspondence with a poem by Sa'di.

The sons of Adam are limbs of each other,
Having been created of one essence.
When the calamity of time affects one limb
The other limbs cannot remain at rest.

So let's not stay at rest even when one attendee of the meeting might be
subject to going through complicated visa processes to get to a meeting.
And let's not stay at rest until we have diversity at NCPH.

Best

Farzaneh

Farzaneh