[NCUC-DISCUSS] Questions on ncuc bylaws

Amr Elsadr aelsadr at egyptig.org
Sat Oct 15 15:58:06 CEST 2016

Hi,

> On Oct 14, 2016, at 8:04 AM, farzaneh badii <farzaneh.badii at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> All
>
> EC will meet today in a couple of hours to discuss questions and comments on the NCUC  bylaws.  Please consider discussing the questions below. We will have the public meeting with ncuc members on Monday next week.
>
> Questions:
> 1. Should the bylaws include the process of removal of ncuc officers such as EC members and how?

Yes, sure. This should be an important accountability mechanism within the NCUC. Matt mentioned some reasons why we may want to do this. Those, and others, will likely require more discussion.

> 2. Should the bylaws predict processes for participating in empowered community and how?

At the top of my head, yes, they should. At least as far as inspection rights as per the new bylaws are concerned. There may be other topics that may require guidelines or procedures within the NCUC. It’ll be easier to figure some of these out when we see the draft language for the new GNSO Operating Procedures, which we should certainly review while reviewing our own bylaws.

> 3. Changes are made to the ncuc bylaws to align it with ncsg bylaws. Since ncsg is going to go under bylaws reviews what should be done if ncsg bylaws again disalign with ncuc in some respects?

Well, NCUC’s bylaws certainly should not conflict in any way with the NCSG charter. I advise we work with the NCSG charter we have, and keep an eye on whatever progress is being done to amend it, as work continues within NCUC.

> you can also share any issue/question you would like to add for discussion.

For years, I’ve had a problem with how the regional members of the NCUC EC perform their duties. The way I see it, there are two ways to go about dealing with this while updating our bylaws. One would be to reinforce the regional roles each one of the EC members is expected to play, and add mechanisms to hold them accountable to that responsibility. This could be factored into responses to question 1 above. Another approach would be to redefine the purpose and responsibilities of EC members, and no longer restrict them to regional representation. I would personally prefer the first approach.

I appreciate that EC members are volunteers like everyone else is, but for years now, and across different ECs, the majority of regional members of the EC seem to consistently neglect their duties. I think it’s important to address this at the earliest opportunity.

Thanks.

Amr