[NCUC-DISCUSS] Best practices in anti-harassment policies

Corinne Cath corinnecath at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 18:34:03 CET 2016

Dear Milton,

What exactly do you mean by unbiased? If Shane had sent a similar email
including an ACLU website, would you have called it biased? If I had sent a
Dutch resource would you have called it biased, because we have
particularly strong laws on this issue? What exactly is it you are looking
for? Because it is of no use to anyone that brings a thoughtful suggestion
to be turned down, without any further explanation.

Additionally, I do not see the danger in using a website that is an
established resource for tech & academic conferences, atleast not as a
starting point. The guidelines can always be adapted to meet the needs of
this community. Shooting it down, without providing an alternative
certainly isn't very helpful.

I know you keep bringing up the issue of false reports, and the need to
protect against those. In my many years of being on teams that are the
first to deal with instances of alleged sexual assault at various
universities and conferences, I have never had anyone bring a false report.
But I understand if my n=1 example does not convince you of anything.
Luckily there are plenty of statistics about harassment. For instance here
<http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/press/vnrp0610pr.cfm.> you will research by
the USDOJ on how many cases of assault go underreported  I can send you a
lot of similar statistics from across the world, if that is what you would
like to see.

Now the DOJ does not publish similar statistics for false accusations.
Perhaps because there are so few? Either way, this research
<http://www.nsvrc.org/sites/default/files/Publications_NSVRC_Overview_False-Reporting.pdf>
of the National Sexual Violence Resource Center (NSVRC) (which also has
links to supporting research) indicates that the prevalence of false
reporting is between 2 - 8-10%. It also states clearly that "Research shows
that rates of false reporting are frequently inflated, in part because of
inconsistent definitions and protocols, or a weak understanding of sexual
assault."

So - comparing the number of cases of harassments versus the number of
cases of false accusations, I think we can say that the first is more
likely to happen than the second. And I am sure we can all get together to
find middle ground and develop an anti-harassment policy that both respects
those being harassed and freedom of expression.

​Have a great weekend all.

Best,

On Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 4:46 PM, Mueller, Milton L <milton at gatech.edu>
wrote:

> Geek feminism is not what I would call an unbiased source of information.
> And some of the information there is not reassuring; e.g., in response to
> free expression concerns it says "A private authority figure may reserve
> the right to censor their subordinate's speech, or discriminate on the
> basis of speech, without any legal consequences." Great. Nothing to worry
> about there.
>
> The statistics they provide about non-reporting are about sexual assault,
> not various forms of harassment. While I agree that non-reporting of
> harassment is a concern, I still think the policy should protect against or
> not encourage false reports. It does not invalidate this concern to say
> that harassment is underreported, even if that is true.

Corinne J.N. Cath
Ph.D. Candidate, Oxford Internet Institute & Alan Turing Institute

Web: www.oii.ox.ac.uk/people/corinne-cath
Email: ccath at turing.ac.uk & corinnecath at gmail.com
Twitter: @C_Cath