[NCUC-DISCUSS] Best practices in anti-harassment policies

valentina pellizzer valentina at oneworldplatform.net
Fri Nov 18 18:03:13 CET 2016

            Well, Being feminist is not a bias is a political open statement and a political perspective on the world. I would say instead tha each time when a victim thinking of reporting his/her lived experience of harassment is confronted with a patronizing remark on false reporting, is very disempowering and disconcerting.But would be good to have f2f policy workshops on this issues to really surface bias and hidden politics of power, race, age and so onBest hvale valentina pellizzer President One World Platform   http://oneworldplatform.net/  mobile: +387 (0)61 484 038 phone/fax: +387 (0)33 834 899 twitter: @froatosebe  Fingerprint 30AA 9445 D878 A6C9 FE41 E90D 52A5 36A6 B249 EDA9---- On Fri, 18 Nov 2016 17:46:10 +0100  Mueller, Milton L<milton at gatech.edu> wrote ----Geek feminism is not what I would call an unbiased source of information. And some of the information there is not reassuring; e.g., in response to free expression concerns it says "A private authority figure may reserve the right to censor their subordinate's speech, or discriminate on the basis of speech, without any legal consequences." Great. Nothing to worry about there. The statistics they provide about non-reporting are about sexual assault, not various forms of harassment. While I agree that non-reporting of harassment is a concern, I still think the policy should protect against or not encourage false reports. It does not invalidate this concern to say that harassment is underreported, even if that is true. > -----Original Message-----> From: Ncuc-discuss [mailto:ncuc-discuss-bounces at lists.ncuc.org] On Behalf> Of Shane Kerr> Sent: Friday, November 18, 2016 5:34 AM> To: ncuc-discuss at lists.ncuc.org> Subject: [NCUC-DISCUSS] Best practices in anti-harassment policies> > Fellow NCUC members,> > [ Only sending to NCUC on purpose. ]> > I see concerns come up repeatedly in the discussion of ICANN's proposed> anti-harassment policy. Fortunately (?), ICANN is not the first organization to> attempt to introduce an anti-harassment policy. People have often> expressed similar concerns in those venues. So often that there is a FAQ:> > http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Conference_anti-> harassment/Policy_resources#Common_concerns_about_adoption> > In fact I've seen each of those issues raised either here or on Facebook (ug,> don't ask!), except for the Autism one (I guess that that's more of a problem> in communities with more geeks and fewer lawyers).> > I'd ask that everyone concerned or otherwise interested please have a look> there. I don't know that this will make anyone less concerned, but it will at> least save us having to re-visit ground that is already been covered. :)> > Also interesting may be this table:> > http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Code_of_conduct_evaluations> > It shows how people working in this area evaluate code of conducts.> (The proposed ICANN policy actually meets most of the criteria. Except for> the things that I mentioned I think it is not horrible.)> > Cheers,> > --> Shane "Geek Feminist" Kerr_______________________________________________Ncuc-discuss mailing listNcuc-discuss at lists.ncuc.orghttp://lists.ncuc.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ncuc-discuss