[NCUC-DISCUSS] ICANN Community Anti-Harassment Policy: Summary of Discussion So Far

Shane Kerr shane at time-travellers.org
Tue Nov 22 06:15:47 CET 2016

Hello,

Apologies if I mis-characterize the discussion. It is not my intent to
pursue an agenda regarding the discussion here, but rather to try to
see where we are at and to make sure that the topic doesn't get dropped.

It seems there are some areas of agreement regarding ICANN's proposed
anti-harassment policy, but also some areas of disagreement.

Possible agreement:

* The power of the ombudsperson in this process needs to be tempered
  and/or changed.

Probable disagreement:

* Having a list of examples of harassment is a good idea.
* We should have a procedure for dealing with vexatious complaints.

Unsure:

* Privacy of everyone should be insured by the process.
* List of Specified Characteristic is unwieldy.
* Ongoing harassment should be addressed.
* Specific changes to the role of ombudsperson in the process. Perhaps a
  separate, community (non-staff, non-board) position for this?

I don't think that we can get consensus on the areas of disagreement.

I would like to hope that we can get consensus on at least some of
those that I am unsure about.

There may be other issues that have not come up yet, of course.

Possibly we'll need to commit to having an NCUC response as well as
separate responses by people about issues of disagreement?

Is it too early to start drafting text about what we do agree on?

Cheers,

--
Shane