[NCUC-DISCUSS] Candidate Statement for Haziq Jeelani

Haziq Jeelani haziq.jeelani.in at ieee.org
Sat Nov 19 16:41:20 CET 2016

Dear NCUC Members,

Please find my Candidate Statement Below.

Name: Haziq Jeelani

Region: Asia Pacific

Gender: Male

Employement: PhD Student in Computer Science, UN Volunteer, Consulting
Scholar in ICT

Conflict of Interest: No

1. Why do I want to serve on EC?

I believe that EC is a platform consisting of individuals representing the
interests that i align to very strongly and hope that i will be able to
contribute in outlining the regional concerns which have not made it to the
discussions yet or which have been less discussed. I also believe that i
will be able to strengthen the outreach and information dissemination in my
region. As i represent a subregion which has been in political disturbance
for over last 60 years, i understand the concerns of various populations
which have been afflicted by some kind of political conflicts and
disturbances at some point of time and i have the potential and capacity to
represent their interests at the NCUC, which remain otherwise mostly
unserved. I also wish to facilitate in policies concerning participation of
new members and act as a resource to them.

2. Provide a brief biography of recent experience, associations, and
affiliations relevant to serving on the Executive Committee. Describe the
relevance of your personal and professional experience to serve on the NCUC
Executive Committee, and identify any conflicts of interests you might have.

I am an Independent Consultant in ICT, E governance and Internet Governance
Domains. I have studied masters in Computer Science Engineering with my
masters focus on Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning, but since
then my focus has revolved around E-governance, E-governments, ICT’s and
Internet Governance and i want to carry forward my research in any of these
themes in my PhD Course. I have founded a non-profit with the name of the
Gihon Foundation which works in Sustainable Development, ICT in Education
and Open Governance. Recently I have worked with the following projects and
themes related to NCUC:

   -

   Resource Person on Cyber Security and Cybercrime at United Nations IGF
   -

   Ambassador Youth IGF India
   -

   Been part of the  ALAC at ICANN Hyderabad 57
   -

   Member of UN IGF Working Groups (Access to Information, Community
   Outreach)
   -

   Been part of Cyber Crime Conference at IIC Delhi on 17-18 Nov as speaker
   on cyber bullying
   -

   Member of ISOC India and also working to form ISOC JK Chapter
   -

   Member of IEEE Internet Inititative, ETAP, Cloud Computing, Computer
   Society, IEEE Young Comuputing and IEEE Insight
   -

   Member of Computer Society of India which is ALAC
   -

   Member Diplo Foundation
   -

   Member ICANN APRALO
   -

   Member GEC
   -

   Member UNWoman( Empower Woman Champaion, Empowerment of Woman through
   ICT)
   -

   Member and Contributor Open Government Partnership
   -

   Member ODI
   -

   Member Governance Research Data.
   -

   Open Knowledge International

I have also been on the International Program Committee of over 150
Conferences and Events Sponsored Directly by IEEE, United Nations, World
Bank, INTERPOL. I have also been on several Executive Committee’s, Advisory
Committees and Working groups in the domains pertaining to NCUC.

I believe that my professional affiliations, works and experiences make me
suitable for serving on the executive committee and contribute to it in a
positive way. Please find more about me here:
https://sites.google.com/site/haziqjeelani/home

3  The EC performs several functional responsibilities for the
Constituency. What level of time commitment can you bring to your EC role
on a weekly and overall basis? Describe any concerns or limitations on your
ability to attend online meetings of the Executive Committee and ICANN
Meetings in person.

As a member of the NCUC EC Asia Pacific Representative, I will be able to
serve for 4-6 hours in a week. Sometimes I can afford more time, depending
on the availability but i can carry the outreach and dissemination tasks on
nearly daily basis. As an Individual I can  attend most of the ICANN
meetings online and also in person if the venue is in my region and i can
attend meetings in other venues given full or partial support. I am free to
join calls mostly without any particular limitation. Also, I am committed
to attend other associated events where i can do outreach or recruit new
members.

4 Communication with the membership is critical. How would you keep members
apprised of your EC-related activities?

Communication is definitely a critical because it allows us to be in a
position to share our activities with the other members and also learn from
their experiences. My first and foremost Communication will be utilizing
the channels created by returning members who have put their efforts and
experiences in creating a structure which has allowed me to know about the
NCUC and many like me. Beyond that i would look forward to meet the EC
Members in person in different meetings and events which i attend and also
online via the contacts i have with the existing members to communicate to
them about the EC-related activities or issues where i would need their
help or guidance. I particularly believe that the current EC Members like
Mr. Tapani, Mr. Sam, Mr. Milton, Ms Renata, Ms. Robin have been extremely
helpful and inspiring. I would also like to strengthen the current
communication structure.

 How do you foresee NCUC’s function, scale, or role changing in the future?
What areas of ICANN policy, if any, need more attention and why? Incumbent
candidates should answer in a manner that is both backward and forward
looking, i.e. taking note of their contributions and work in the previous
year.

I NCUC’s  role getting more stabilized, powerful and regulatory when it
comes to protecting civil liberties and protecting freedom of speech,
freedom of accessibility, right to privacy, right to security, and other
intellectual property rights. NCUC should become the primary voice of the
civil society to secure its internet rights and hold a transparent, open,
diverse, inclusive and sovereign character which ceases to bend at any
moral or authoritative disruption. I see NCUC scale multifold in the coming
ten years, with more members from more diverse regions with more
representation of  people who have less or marginal international
representation like my region Kashmir to become inclusive in action. I also
see NCUC to scale to take role of regulatory authority which will be the
protector of civil rights on internet and let the internet be as we know
it. Also make the voices of those who have no voice due to different
ethno-politico societal complexities, heard to the decision makers and be
committed in doing so.

I guess ICANN should give attention to proper information dissemination and
present itself as of the people at large. Also attention should be given to
cultural and ethical balance in action. I am sure i will be able to
introduce ICANN to people from multiple cultures and thus contribute
significantly to the outreach and representing their voices.

--
Best Regards
Haziq Jeelani