[NCUC-DISCUSS] Candidate statement: Tatiana Tropina, NCUC EC European seat

Dr. Tatiana Tropina t.tropina at mpicc.de
Thu Nov 17 22:44:49 CET 2016

Dear NCUC members,

Please find below my candidate statement. Thank you for taking the time
to read it! If you have any further questions, I would be happy to
answer either via email or on the call tomorrow.

*===Candidate Statement, Tatiana Tropina, nomination: NCUC EC European
seat======*

Name: Tatiana Tropina, Region of residence: Europe, Gender: Female,
Employment: Senior Researcher, Max-Planck Institute for Foreign and
International Criminal Law, Freiburg, Germany.

Conflict of interest: No.

*1    Why do you want to serve on the EC?*
I want to contribute to the engagement of NCUC members into the ICANN
processes and to the administrative functioning of the NCUC; and further
effective governance at the NCUC. I believe that for strong
representation of the non-commercial users at ICANN we need to ensure
NCUC’s transparency, visibility and credibility. I have been actively
engaged in NCUC’s activities in the past year, so I believe that the EC
position is the next logical level to strengthen my involvement in
serving the non-commercial interests.  I would also like to ensure that
NCUC members are getting informed about and engaged in ICANN policy
processes.

*2    Provide a brief biography of recent experience, associations, and
affiliations relevant to serving on the Executive Committee. Describe
the relevance of your personal and professional experience to serve on
the NCUC Executive Committee, and identify any conflicts of interests
you might have.*

I am a lawyer by training. I got my legal degree (and later a PhD degree
with the thesis on cybercrime) from the Far-Eastern Federal University
in Vladivostok, Russia. I also have a master’s degree in ICT policy and
management from Strathclyde University Business School in Glasgow, UK. I
have been living and working in several countries: Russia, United
Kingdom, Switzerland and Germany, and my work experience includes
private industry – I worked as a telecom lawyer for several companies in
Russia, I have experience in academia, international organisations and
private consultancy. I am currently based in Freiburg, Germany and work
for Max-Planck Institute for Foreign and International Criminal Law. In
this capacity, I am involved in different cybersecurity projects, but my
interests are much wider because I am trying to approach the issues from
a broader perspective of Internet Governance.

Apart from my main work, I am engaged in different IG-related
activities, many of them are on a voluntary basis. I have been involved
as a focal point in EuroDIG and SEEDIG processes, I have been a faculty
member of the European Summer School on Internet Governance since 2011.
I am participate as a trainer in different capacity building programs. I
carried out various projects for international organisations such as
Word Bank, UNODC, ITU and others. Last but not least, I am actively
engaged in some of the ICANN processes: I participated in the
CCWG-Accountability Workstream 1 (and currently – WS2), CCWP for Human
Rights; I am currently a member of the NCUC Policy Committee.

*3    The EC performs several functional responsibilities for the
Constituency. What level of time commitment can you bring to your EC
role on a weekly and overall basis? Describe any concerns or limitations
on your ability to attend online meetings of the Executive Committee and
ICANN Meetings in person.*

In the past year, I have been already able to demonstrate my commitment
to NCUC, I work at least several hours a week to fulfil my voluntary
commitments to the CCWG-accountablity and other processes. I clearly
understand that the EC position will require time and I am willing to
make such a commitment, including travelling to the ICANN meetings. I
have a flexible work schedule, and my current job allows me to take
voluntary obligations. Furthermore, I travel a lot for work and I am
very well connected at different IG-related fora in Europe: this will
perfectly allow me to carry out the necessary outreach and give NCUC
more visibility.

*4    Communication with the membership is critical. How would you keep
members apprised of your EC-related activities?*
This is an easy question because I don’t have to suggest anything
extremely innovative but rather continue the efforts that have been
made: the current EC representative for Europe, Farzaneh, established
(in my opinion) great channels and patterns for communications with the
NCUC members. I will try to further strengthen this: the members can
expect quarterly regional reports and reports from the events that NCUC
took part in. Furthermore, I will inform NCUC members about different
calls for proposals and funding for the European and other IG-related
events so we can have more presence and engagement outside of ICANN, too.

*5    How do you foresee NCUC’s function, scale, or role changing in the
future? What areas of ICANN policy, if any, need more attention and why?
Incumbent candidates should answer in a manner that is both backward and
forward looking, i.e. taking note of their contributions and work in the
previous year.*

In the last couple of years NCUC and its membership have been able to
contribute a lot (and substantively!) to different ICANN
policy-development processes and also in the process of transition. We
have to leverage these achievements, build upon them and strengthen both
NCUC “from within” (outreach, transparency, effective governance and
more involvement of the current membership in the policy-making) and
also in the ICANN and IG context: visibility, credibility,
representation of the non-commercial interests at the ICANN. The latter,
in my opinion, should focus “policy-wise” on privacy issues, human
rights and their consideration in any PDP processes “by default” and the
new challenges of the shadow content regulation. Last but not least, I
believe NCUC can further contribute into the diversity, gender balance
and the greater representation of non-commercial users in ICANN processes.

Warm regards

Tanya