[NCUC-DISCUSS] Farzaneh Badii - Candidate Statement

farzaneh badii farzaneh.badii at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 15:50:57 CET 2016

Candidate Statement for the NCUC Chair position

Name: Farzaneh Badii - Region: Europe- Gender: Female- Affiliation:
Associate Researcher at Humbold Institute for Internet and Society

COI: I have no conflict of interest.

*Dear NCUC Members,*

Last year when I ran for the NCUC Executive Committee (EC) I used the
statement template to tell you what I would do for you as the Europe EC
rep. This year, my ambitions as the candidate for NCUC Chair go beyond that
template. So please accept my apology for this ad hoc statement, but I have
big dreams.

The NCUC members and the NCUC mission are the reasons why I am running for
the Chair position.  I believe we have great amount of talent and untapped
resources within NCUC that can be used to advance the noncommercial users
interests at ICANN.  I want to do my best so that you are supported in the
voluntary work you do at NCUC.

At NCUC EC, I will strive for utmost transparency and accountability.
Building on the legacy of the past chairs and ECs, I will work with the EC
members to communicate with you and involve you more in decision making at
NCUC.

I will look out for the opportunities to help strengthen the NCUC, make
sure we are aware of all the programs available to us.

I will diligently carry out the tasks Bylaws require. As you know, we have
been working on new NCUC bylaws for the past year. I promise that none of
the procedural rules required to be carried out by EC in accordance to the
current or the future Bylaws will go unnoticed. I look forward to working
and supporting the regional EC members to achieve our goals and uphold the
NCUC values.

I plan to be engaged with members’ policy activities at ICANN. I think it
is important for the EC to understand what the members do and have a deep
understanding of policy work at ICANN. The EC’s tasks are mainly
administrative but need to have insights into NCUC policy work to have
successful outreach and convincing in-reach. That is how we can gain
respect from our very active members and encourage others to join.  The new
Bylaws propose a Policy Committee (PC) for NCUC. I think that is timely and
a good start.  If the Bylaws are adopted, and in case I am elected, with
the help of EC members, we will make sure that the PC is operational and
well functioning.

In my candidate statement last year, I mentioned several goals and plans. I
am glad that I have achieved some of them, such as in-reach and outreach
and more effective communication with the members. I want to continue
carrying out the promised plans, this time as the Chair of NCUC, working
with all of you and the EC members to come up with outreach and in-reach
strategies, to achieve gender balance and enhance regional diversity at
NCUC and to have a constituency that is empowered and ever more effective
at ICANN.

Thank you for reading this statement. I look forward to talking to you and
answering your questions  via email and mailing list and  at tomorrow's
"meet the candidates" virtual meeting which will be held at 13.00 UTC.

Best regards,

--
Farzaneh