[NCUC-DISCUSS] 2017 ICANN Meetings

Rafik Dammak rafik.dammak at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 01:31:45 CET 2016

Hi,

Thanks for this discussion. I saw there 2 issues here: the
selection/rotation for ICANN meeting and the geographical/regional division
within ICANN.

it is not the first time that ICANN board decide to move an ICANN meeting
to another country. it happened in 2011 for Jordan and the meeting was held
in June 2011 in Singapore (during "Arab spring"). it happened again with
Marrakech again and The meeting was held  in Singapore (because fears of
Ebola Epidemic). I don't know if that happened before 2011 or not.

for 2011, the replacement was in APAC country and was ok (Jordan didn't
want to organize again after that...). for Marrakech 2014, there was switch
between APAC and Africa slot. so it was possible to switch between Europe
and LAC but probably the constrains came from the new meeting format i.e. B
format which is shorted than others.

the switch also raised an issue: replacing by Singapore meant that no
another prospective host could  bid till 2017 !(the last ICANN meeting not
held in Singapre was in Beijing 2013) . For marrakech, options such
Istanbul and Dubai were proposed but then dismissed.

I can understand that for some reasons or for risks mitigation , meeting
can be moved or canceled. however, I think we need some clear and
transparent guidelines here to make such decision to ensure some
consistency e.g. why moving from Panama and not for Puerto rico while both
have Zika risks?  when making such decision and with which input e.g. third
party (consulting companies), governmental warning, community?
also reviewing the requirements for hosting ICANN meeting and including new
ones like access, visa , human rights may be worthy, the expression of
interest details are here https://meetings.icann.org/en/host  . we will
also have to assess in future the new format and its impact, the format B
which will be held first time in Helsinki is going to be an experiment for
everyone.

For the geographical region, I am kind of cautious with the topic. how can
we do the split? following which criteria and who will make the decision?
during Marrakech meeting  and there was a session about North African IGF,
and question raised if Sudan can be considered as part of that sub-region
or not because it was not at UN level but it was according to African
Union.  it is highly political because creating new regions means having at
least one board member from there and also would impact groups like ccNSO
and at-large since they have a geographical structuring.
I wouldn't worry about the outreach and staffing because that is somehow
included i.e. there are regional manager for Caribbean , Middle east, CEI
Countries and so on. more work need to be done that but that is at least
acknowledged in the ground.

happy to see that Ayden is volunteering for the Geographic Region WG report
comment and will be glad to help him.

Best,

Rafik