[NCUC-DISCUSS] 2017 ICANN Meetings

Ayden Férdeline icann at ferdeline.com
Wed Mar 16 21:34:20 CET 2016

Oh, thanks for sharing that, James. How timely!
Has the NCSG or NCUC already drafted a response to the final report
recommendations of the Geographic Regions Review Working Group? If not, I'm
happy to take the lead here and to draft something up for others to add to.
I've only skim read a few of the recommendations and some seem slightly
problematic to me, especially the idea that dependent overseas territories
belong to the same region as their home country, unless their mother country
agrees otherwise. I am sure that is something the GAC supports but that makes
our outreach efforts harder. I already see this being an issue in San Juan. Puerto Ricans might be US citizens but their native language and culture varies
from that of the mainland USA. By ICANN's arbitrary definition of North America
the region has a very small number of members relative to other regions (8, to
Asia/Pacific's 73), yet it is still guaranteed one director and a
disproportionate amount of ALAC resources. If Puerto Rico was considered a part
of Latin America and the Caribbean, we could bring those from the hispanosphere
together and have outreach activities in a language that most from that region
would be comfortable communicating in. But we won't be doing that. If the
meeting in San Juan goes ahead, we'll mainly be bringing those from the US and
Canada to Puerto Rico. Of course we need to do outreach there, too, but I've
heard a few people now say this meeting will - by virtue of being in a
Spanish-speaking territory - be a form of Latin American outreach. I just don't
see how that is the case. By all means have a meeting in San Juan and if we can
get additional language support there, great, but I would like it to be
acknowledged that this is a North American meeting which will mainly be bringing
together native English speakers, and is not a LatAm surrogate.
I appreciate that this is a sensitive issue for ICANN to deal with — it is much
easier to defer to a 3rd party's definition of what constitutes a geographical
region than to get into the tricky business of defining sovereignty and state
self-determination (though I think ICANN already that did in assigning the .cat
TLD to Catalonia in 2005) — but given how the geographic regions impact all of
ICANN's outreach activities I think we should make it clear to the Working Group
how harmful or limiting these arbitrary groupings of countries can be.
Best wishes,
Ayden