[NCUC-DISCUSS] the internet increases inequality

Michael Oghia mike.oghia at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 10:40:14 CET 2016

Hi all,

Thanks for sharing DD and an apt point Nuno.

The larger point the article raises is particularly frustrating. The
Internet or any other kind of ICT is and should be a panacea for the
world's problems. As I see it, inequality is largely a consequence of
circumstance, power, insecurity, and greed. It's unfair to think that the
Internet will suddenly cure individuals of malintent or instantly give a
user the ability to thwart the host of conditions that contributes to
perpetuated inequality or adverse economic conditions.

The title is ultimately clickbait because at the end, the author puts the
onus on where it should be: with those responsible for capacity building,
education, and governance -- particularly with economic governance.

I highly recommend checking out http://toomuchonline.org/ and subscribing
to their monthly newsletter if income inequality specifically is an issue
you are concerned about. I understand this forum is not necessarily the
space to discuss this, but it's difficult to stay optimistic about
development knowing that so much wealth is concentrated in the hands of the
few -- and continues to intensify every day.

Any comments are greatly encouraged,
-Michael

Michael J. Oghia
Istanbul, Turkey