[NCUC-DISCUSS] ICANN Mentor Pilot Programme Application

Edward Morris egmorris1 at toast.net
Mon Jan 25 17:15:27 CET 2016

 I agree with you Stephanie. We have a number of excellent candidates for
both the menthe and mentor positions. This program has such promise so
let's all hope the pilot is a success and it will be expanded in the
future.

 Applications are still being accepted and perhaps we'll have a few more.
All the better!

 I have taken notice of a number of posts endorsing and nominating Members
for both the mentee and mentor positions. With that as precedent I'd like
to 1) suggest one criteria I hope the EC will use in making the selection
of a mentee and 2) positively comment on one particular application.

 This program needs to produce a worker bee for the NCUC. We do not need
tourists, we do not need those who are interested in internet governance
and might want to do something some day, we need someone who after our
mentor has expended time and effort educating him or her will be here
writing public comments, doing the nitty gritty in working groups and
otherwise helping us with the substantive work in ICANN on behalf of the
NCUC right now. NextGen and the Fellowship programs are good and help
produce all sorts of volunteers. The mentor program needs, by its very
nature, to produce a worker bee.

 Towards that end I would ask the EC to seriously consider Padmini. I'll be
blunt: she probably is not going to be the life of the party. In Dublin,
her first meeting, she almost harassed me, bombarding me with questions
(many of which were so hard I couldn't answer) at times I was trying to
rest and relax, at dinner, at receptions, in hallways, in meeting rooms.
She was a general irritant. We need more like her. Our most effective
advocates tend to be people just like that.

 Padmini has done more substantive work on the DIDP than anyone I know of
in all of ICANN. You can view some of it here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1M1gWBpa7tlxGPMWyB6xJryddahyZzjVIarSz
0RJswDM/edit?usp=sharing

http://cis-india.org/internet-governance/blog/peering-behind-the-veil-of-ica
nn2019s-didp

http://cis-india.org/internet-governance/blog/peering-behind-the-veil-of-ica
nns-didp-ii

I don't know all of the applicants. I trust the EC will take all variables
into account when making its selection. All I ask is whoever you select is
someone you have confidence will be able and willing to substantively
contribute to our work during and after the mentorship program. We have a
lot of work heading our way, we need help and we can't wait for help. WE
need it now.  I'm convinced Padmini has the desire and talent to
substantively help us in short order once she gains the knowledge and
skills that the mentorship program would give her. I'm sure there are other
applicants that would be able to do so as well. I wish you well in your
deliberation and decision.

 Best,

 Ed