[NCUC-DISCUSS] Does part of GTLD market is being moved with blurry money?

Shane Kerr shane at time-travellers.org
Mon Jan 11 20:38:34 CET 2016

João,

Since the Internet allows business to run from anywhere, it makes sense
that companies would naturally migrate to places with low tax rates.

A less charitable interpretation would be that the new gTLD are mostly
run by domainers, who are involved in a shady business. ;)

An even less charitable interpretation would be that this is typical
corporate abuse of the international tax code to insure that
shareholders' gains are maximized instead of paying a fair share to
keep society running. :(

My guess is that this is all legal though. It's certainly not new.
Afilias was one of the first newish gTLD operators (it started
running info in 2001 or so) and it has technical operations in Canada,
business headquarters in the USA, and an accounting department in
Ireland. While I know that many people at Afilias like Guiness, I don't
think that's the reason for this corporate structure....

Cheers,

--
Shane