[NCUC-DISCUSS] NomCom Needs Your Help

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Fri Feb 12 18:21:03 CET 2016

Hi

An update on NomCom stuff:

Staff have just posted the January report card at https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/nomcom2016-report-cards-2015-11-12-en

A couple relevant quotes:

By 20 January 2016, the Nominating Committee had received 53 requests for online application forms, which is the first step of the application process. This figure, slightly higher than last year at the same time, is an early indication of interest in NomCom-appointed leadership positions; applications are accepted until 20 March. An analysis of the requests so far informs the NomCom on where additional outreach efforts might be necessary, both in terms of geographical and gender balance. The graph below shows the regional breakdown of application requests. As to the gender imbalance, more than 90% of the requests so far have come from men…

Of the total 53, a vast majority (44) are interested in a Board position, and for 30 as their first preference. Corresponding figures for other positions are: GNSO (39) 7, ccNSO (39) 7 and ALAC (27) 7.

I’m told by NomCom veterans and staff that these figures are not bad, but to me they’re not great, either.

24 requests are from NA and WE, 18 AP, 9 AF, only 2 LAC, and 90+% male…of course, these are just the requests, we don’t know about the ultimate applicant pool, but it’s a fair bet we could be in need of more diversity.  Also in terms of backgrounds…we need civil society applicants.

Also notable, it seems people like the idea of being on the board, whereas only 7 have indicated the GNSO Council as their first preference.  As we have seen over the years, NomCom Council members can be rather important, even the nonvoting one, so it would be desirable to get someone good and reasonably friendly to civil society concerns.

All of which is to say, if you know of anyone good who might be interested in the open positions on the Board, GNSO Council, ccNSO Council or ALAC, please encourage them to apply, and of course to be in touch with me if they need more info.  Again, the app deadline is 20 March.

Thanks

Bill

William J. Drake
International Fellow & Lecturer
  University of Zurich, Switzerland
  www.williamdrake.org
The Working Group on Internet Governance - 10th Anniversary Reflections
New book at https://www.apc.org/en/WGIG