[NCUC-DISCUSS] Encouraging open solutions at ICANN?

Shane Kerr shane at time-travellers.org
Tue Feb 2 16:56:44 CET 2016

Hello fellow NCUC members,

tl;dr Does is make sense to encourage open solutions at ICANN? If so,
      how?

More words:

I just missed the GNSO WG Newcomer Open House Session. I was curious to
see how the process there works. ("Open House" means anyone can show
up, right?)

The reason I missed it is because ICANN uses Adobe Connect. This uses
Adobe Flash, which I don't have installed on any of my computers. Flash
is widely known for being suckful (consuming lots of CPU, which wastes
electricity - especially bad on laptops which heat up and drain
batteries, and also a constant source of security problems).

Even if Flash was wonderful, it's still proprietary software built
using a closed standard. It doesn't fill me with confidence when the
first thing that you have to do to participate in ICANN discussions is
to install a closed piece of software from a for-profit company.

What would be the right way to agitate for more open solutions at
ICANN?

Cheers,

--
Shane