[NCUC-DISCUSS] [Important] Additional Budget Request/What do we need for next year?

Mueller, Milton L milton at gatech.edu
Thu Dec 29 05:14:52 CET 2016

From: Ncuc-discuss [mailto:ncuc-discuss-bounces at lists.ncuc.org] On Behalf Of Ayden Férdeline

How about a more targeted use of travel funding — a two-day, NCUC-only pre-event that trains our members in how to write public comments, where we discuss the implications of our positions on ICANN’s overall vision, mission, and objectives, and on how to most strategically participate in working groups?

MM: This is a great idea. NCUC (and NCSG even more so) has a capacity development problem. I have, as you know, rejected the idea that an ICANN-hired consultant is going to solve that problem. Instead of diverting our attention on that kind of thing, we need to think about how to build and enlarge our capacity to analyze and develop policy proposals, write public comments, etc. We can raise money to do that, and we have some money to kick start it.

Such training should be issue-focused. Based on existing, real ICANN WG processes.

We could bring in an external consultant on the first day to offer this capacity building training, and the second day could be the policy conference that Matt proposed last year.

MM: Meh. We don’t need “external consultants” to do this!! Who would they be? ? We need to stay in control of the educational process and we need to make sure that the positions and perspectives we are training people to take are ones that accord with our values.

Dr. Milton L. Mueller
Professor, School of Public Policy
Georgia Institute of Technology