[NCUC-DISCUSS] WBC Global policy support pilot - is NCUC participating in it?

Kathy Kleiman kathy at kathykleiman.com
Tue Dec 27 17:25:11 CET 2016

Strange in this holiday season to be having such deep disagreements.
First, I hope everyone's holidays were and are wonderful. Happy New Year!

Second, if extra resources are made available to one constituency (the
Intellectual Property Constituency, for example), they should be made
available for all constituencies. We would yell to high heaven if they
were not.

Third, it is a fact that we leave many comment period "on the table" and
do not respond to issues of interest and concern to the NCUC.  Why?  We
hear many reasons including volunteer fatigue, the timeconsuming process
of preparing comments and the time-consuming process of editing them
with the NCUC.

History may serve as a guide in this matter. Several years ago, we
(NCUC) objected heartely to ICANN providing us with administrative
support. But we now have Maryam Bakoshi working with us and could not
imagine a world in which we did not have her support. She sets up our
meetings (arranging phone dialin and Adobe Connect online), makes
recordings available and similar support for in-person meetings,
facilities and recording. It's critical support that does not change our
mission and function - she makes our lives easier and our meetings,
recordings and notes more accessible to our members.

So what if we had a bit more support for other NCUC work?  I spent some
time talking with Angie in India, staff support for the Intellectual
Property Constituency under this special "Pilot Program." She iis an
individual with a broad background and spent time as a journalist; she
knows how to write and edit. But she is not a lawyer (and many in the
IPC are). She does not write their comments  (they do), but she does
collect bullet points of the topics that various members have identified
for issues and concerns; she does assemble them; a member does the
drafting; and then she helps manage the editing process to show the
edits people are offering (in one place for all to review).

Frankly, this type of work would make the pain of comment writing much
easier; we would be able to generate more comments.

But we have no fight (I believe) right now. The Pilot Project ends on
January 31, 2017 (one month from now). There will be reviews and
evaluations made public from the Constituencies that chose to use this
function, and discussion of how they used it and how successful it was.
The next round (if there is a next round) should run parallel with the
new budget year (which I believe runs July to June).

But Ayden has a point. If the best funded constituencies have MORE
resources from ICANN than NCUC, than we are further behind if we don't
at least consider using similar resources.

And Milton has a point that, that WE have to manage and oversee anyone
assigned to the NCUC. Our message is a critical one in the ICANN sphere
and WE must control it.

But if other Constituencies have managed to balance a) extending their
capabilities without b) losing their editorial and substantive control,
then we may have a formula that works to extend OUR NCUC capabilities,
reach, message and concerns - at least in some areas. There will be some
reports that should help us assess this in the next few months.

Not all gifts are Trojan horses :-)

Best, Kathy