[NCUC-DISCUSS] NCUC Logo - Ideas and designers out there?

Mueller, Milton L milton at gatech.edu
Wed Dec 14 21:50:43 CET 2016

Well we have used our adopted baby elephant as a symbol before. Elephants are good, they are smart and they never forget. On the other hand, it is also the symbol of the Republican Party in the USA. Hmmm.

We were given a (wooden) pet giraffe in Hyderabad, perhaps that could be the logo. But giraffes, we hear, are in danger of becoming extinct. Not a good connotation. We might adopt the bumble bee as our symbol, since we are busy, hard-working, we produce honey, and we now have a queen. Hexagons are cool for designs also.

If we go with plants, might I suggest the thistle? Nice geometry, beautiful, but don’t try to grab it or sit on it. I guess that might align us too much with Scotland, though.

How about a stylized version of Delacroix’s liberty leading the people? We could change the French flag to an ICANN logo? http://www.artble.com/imgs/b/d/4/134968/778457.jpg Some prudes might complain...

Or a play on the Apple logo by taking a bite out of the ICANN globe?

Maybe our Indian colleagues could suggest a suitable God/Goddess – they have so many…

I do hope we don’t come up with some corny pseudo-digital theme with zeros and ones and circuits.