[NCUC-DISCUSS] ICANN57 High Interest Topics due by 18 August

Jeremy Malcolm jmalcolm at eff.org
Tue Aug 9 22:47:02 CEST 2016

On 9/08/2016 6:59 AM, Rafik Dammak wrote:

> in fact it is unclear: since Helsinki meeting and with new meeting
> format, the planning and meeting request process is different than it
> was previously. I also highlights that SO/AC leaders are involved in
> the process e.g. GNSO chair and vice-chairs. we didn't have enough
> visibility for Helsinki and hope that things would be more smooth for
> Hydrabad.
>
> we usually go via GNSO secretariat or our admin support for meeting
> requests for NCUC sessions. I already tasked Maryam to liaise with
> ICANN meeting team to get more details about the process and meeting
> skeleton.
>
> back to high interest topics, previously ICANN staff asked SO/AC,
> stakeholder group and constituency  chairs inputs in consultation with
> their own groups. I guess we can for NCUC in coordination with NCSG
> discuss some cross-community topics we would like to riase. then
> Maryam or myself on behalf of NCUC can submit the proposal(s) .

Back in Dublin we had discussed having a session on intermediary
liability as it affects the domain name industry.  The idea is to push
back against the notion that registries and registrars are responsible
for policing the content of websites hosted at their domains, and also
to keep a watch on industry schemes such as the Healthy Domains Initiative.

This would also tie in with two EFF/joint campaigns, firstly the Manila
Principles on Intermediary Liability, and second our soon-to-be-launched
"Shadow Regulation" project which is about how industry agreements can
have real regulatory impacts on users which avoid public scrutiny and
accountability.

I would love to be involved in promoting this as a high interest topic,
either through NCUC or separately.

--
Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Global Policy Analyst
jmalcolm at eff.org

Tel: 415.436.9333 ext 161

Public key: https://www.eff.org/files/2014/10/09/key_jmalcolm.txt
PGP fingerprint: FF13 C2E9 F9C3 DF54 7C4F EAC1 F675 AAE2 D2AB 2220
OTR fingerprint: 26EE FD85 3740 8228 9460 49A8 536F BCD2 536F A5BD