[NCUC-DISCUSS] 2016 NomCom Feb-Mar Report Card

William Drake wjdrake at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 16:41:56 CEST 2016

Hi James

> On Apr 29, 2016, at 15:07, James Gannon <james at cyberinvasion.net> wrote:
>
> Hey Bill,
> Can you elaborate on the following:
>
> OB-F will share with it the headlines of their battery of questions, but not the questions themselves, let alone the answers.
>

> What is the reasoning behind the non sharing of the interview questions?

The main rationale offered is that on a number of occasions people who served on the NomCom have subsequently become candidates for NC appointments themselves, so not sharing the questions with the NomCom prevents such folks from having an unfair advantage.  NomCom processes are pretty scrupulous about such things, and indeed OB destroys the responses to the 48 questions at the end of the cycle and keeps only the names of the people involved in the interview.  Bear in mind too that OB’s work is just an additional source of input, the analysis that matters is that of the NomCom after it conducts its own interviews and deep dives etc.  Probably this input is most relevant when OB’s results paint a different picture than the committee's, in which case there’d be reason to pause and consider the discrepancy etc.

I say this ex ante, as I don’t have experience with the OB process yet.  Others here who’ve been on past NomComs, e.g. Wolfgang who’s chaired and Brenden who was our rep the previous two years, could probably shed more light on how it works and how valuable it is.

Best

Bill