[NCUC-DISCUSS] [NCUC-EC] Replacement on Cross Community WorkingGroup on Internet Governance

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Tue Apr 12 12:22:56 CEST 2016

Hil Marilia

> On Apr 11, 2016, at 17:18, Marilia Maciel <mariliamaciel at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have participated in the CCWG since the beginning and I agree with most of the points raised by Wolfgang and with the need to reboot the CCWG. In addition to what has been said, I can tell you that the CCWG has been the only viable instrument to keep ICANN staff accountable and transparent about what they do outside ICANN. I doubt that a less empowered structure would have the capacity to "force" staff to be as transparent as they have been as to keep taking community onboard in the crafting of external messages. Moreover, I think that in a time of CEO transition (we do not know how proactive he will be in ICANN's external relations) it would be particularly bad to lose this channel of pressure.

I guess I have a different view. The relevant staff do a good job representing the organization in intergovernmental settings and have been keen to work with the community and get its input.  It’s not obvious that the community needs a formally chartered working group to ‘force’ them to do this and that we’d not have the same relationship if it were a working party.  The main effect of being a working group has been that certain business actors have been able to block any discussions of joint activity like position papers etc. on the grounds that there wouldn’t be consensus among the chartering groups to act.

The latter claim has been hard to assess because in reality most of the @ 180 mail list subscribers from the chartering groups don’t participate beyond lurking on the list and showing up in the audiences for the Public IG Sessions.  Especially since the transition process got going, the reality of this ‘cross community’ configuration has been that 90% of the active participation—e.g. on the weekly calls and in the planning of the two sessions per ICANN meeting---has been by a couple handfuls of people from NCUC, At Large, and the Business Constituency.  A quick scan of the mail list archive since then seems to suggest that @ 50% of the messages have been from 3 or 4 people, and if you added staff it’d probably be more like six people and 75%.

In any event, most of these active participants appear to want to keep it as a CCWG.  Reasonable people can differ as to whether this is the right call, but that’s where we are.  I have never heard anyone who is involved suggest that the thing be shut down, and as we’ve seen in this discussion the NCUC members who bother to participate don’t want that.  So my suggestion would be to replenish the group with fresh representation and inter alia suggest consideration of the same for the leadership.  That might help.

> This rebooting should be conducted not only on a substantive level - by the way the CCWG did agree in Marrakech that we will have calls to discuss substance separately from operational calls, which have taken most of our time. The reboot should also take place on the level of participation. The reason why some members of other stakeholder groups got away with influencing the process so heavily is that extremely knowledgeable people of our own constituency have not participated. I understand there were too many processes needing our attention. But with the transition behind us, maybe it is time for us to re-distribute tasks.

Here again I’m not sure I agree with the diagnosis.  Regular participants in the process from our side over the past couple years have included e.g. you, Matt, Wolfgang, Avri, Rafik, and myself, all of whom participate extensively in the intergovernmental settings the group tends to focus on.  So I don’t believe we lack expertise or that this is why other stakeholders—one, really---have been able to prevent consensus on action.  I think this has more to do with how the CCWG structure works and the way the meetings have been chaired.

And BTW, while there there’s been some quick dismissals bandied about, I don’t think it is true that all the sessions organized by the CCWG have been braindead etc.  Some have been pretty good and informative for people who don’t follow all the intergovernmental stuff, and some have not.  The weak ones, like Marrakech, mostly resulted from inadequate strategic coordination to ensure that other folks don’t get to hijack things to suit their agendas.  It’d be good if the new group of NCUC reps coordinated more internally and with other like-minded stakeholders who are at least nominally involved so there’d be a Greek chorus of no’s in the seconds between unhelpful ideas being put on the table and the chair pronouncing consensus.

Best

Bill

> I think Bill made an excellent move to kick-start the refreshing of our representation. I agree that a new selection for all NCUC places should be conducted.
>
> Best wishes,
> Marília
>
> On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 9:16 AM, "Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" <wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de <mailto:wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de>> wrote:
> Thx. Rafik,
>
> this helps. I did not check the Charter (sorry!). As it stands now the only thing which is needed is more tangible output.

William J. Drake
International Fellow & Lecturer
  University of Zurich, Switzerland
  www.williamdrake.org
The Working Group on Internet Governance - 10th Anniversary Reflections
New book at http://amzn.to/22hWZxC