[NCUC-DISCUSS] [NCUC-EC] Replacement on Cross Community Working Group on Internet Governance

Mueller, Milton L milton at gatech.edu
Mon Apr 11 05:00:50 CEST 2016

Sorry, Matt, I am not understanding your argument for the continuation of the CCWG-IG.

I reject categorically the idea that expertise about the broader Internet governance process is concentrated in this CCWG. I am deeply involved in and quite well informed about these broader processes, and am not on that CCWG.

I reject categorically the idea that we need this group to educate the ICANN community about IG. I find the general level of knowledge and discourse about IG within ICANN to be quite high, and the level of discourse on CCWG-IG sessions to be quite low. When I have attended its sessions, I have not been impressed. I have seen attendance at its sessions in ICANN meetings decline regularly, mainly because of a lot of pointless wrangling inside the group about who gets to be in the limelight and a rather self-selecting group, in which diverse views about the IG landscape are _not_ aired and controversies are avoided.

There are many ways for ICANN participants to be involved in, to speak about and to monitor broader IG processes. This CCWG is no longer one of them. It did a pretty good job of it 2-3 years ago, and its time has passed. Let’s go for a full refresh.

--MM