[NCUC-DISCUSS] Panama Papers - privacy, data and media manipulation - Re: Information Internet

Renata Aquino Ribeiro raquino at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 13:20:34 CEST 2016

Hi

I`m also adding some links to this one shared about the Panama Papers, more
especifically
http://www.diplointernetgovernance.org/profiles/blogs/the-largest-in-history-filtration-of-journalism

Unfortunately, the links I have are only in Spanish but, I wil try to sum
it up in English:

So Panama Papers was an event in which journalists from ICIJ had access to
the Panamenian law firm Mossack and Fonseca papers
Offshore companies in Panama and corruption cases were scrutinized and
scandals have snowballed to consequences some may have been following
(politicians resignation etc.)

Interesting to NCs are the debates about privacy, data and countries laws
on these matters

Panamenian lawyers in the South School of Internet Governance in OAS are
saying that their country is being unfairly accused of being a tax haven
and a place where there are no privacy/data laws. Some of the papers were
protected by attorney-client privilege and alleged innocents have already
been targeted unlawfully. They imply that EU and US pressure Panama in
increasing taxes and data surveillance of international companies and they
resist, because they want to follow their own law. Reuters than put up an
article saying that there are 22000 laywers in Panama and they say that
this is the number of every graduate in Law that ever lived there (so
deceased and those who moved are in those stats) - and this would be an
effort to discredit their laws once more.

Also ICIJ curated the Panama Papers leak so there is material which has not
been addressed. This lead to a controversy when ICIJ said that they are
"not Wikileaks" so they have filtered the material shared online. Julian
Assange entered the debate pointing out that all data should have been made
available (once more pointing their difference to Wikileaks) and alerting
to media manipulation/cherry picking (including an assertion on Google
search results being manipulated since it controls 80% of online
advertisement)

Now lawyers and journalists in LAC are trying to sort out each country data
protection laws to see what they can get and what can be shared and what
can not. So the ripple effect is quite interesting.

http://www.infolibre.es/noticias/mundo/2016/04/07/assange_denuncia_manipulacion_los_medios_atribuye_nacimiento_podemos_internet_47562_1022.html

https://elrobotpescador.com/2016/04/06/no-te-dejes-enganar-este-es-el-objetivo-final-de-los-papeles-de-panama/

http://eju.tv/2016/04/panama-un-pais-hecho-por-y-para-los-abogados/

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10156716561595364&set=a.10150317711360364.566330.752165363
(manifesto being shared by Panamenians)

Some info I brought also from SSIG mobile messaging group

Best

Renata