[NCUC-DISCUSS] Global Connect Initiative?

Arun Mohan Sukumar arunmohan.s at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 13:09:50 CEST 2015

With Milton on this, but let's wait for the text, IMO. If there is some
role for ICANN, then it's important that non-commercial constituents
(either through the NCUC or through regional outreach initiatives) play a
significant role in pushing it.

The initiative should not be some front for greater access to the private
sector.

arun

On Sun, Sep 27, 2015 at 12:47 PM, William Drake <william.drake at uzh.ch>
wrote:

> Hi
>
> On Sep 26, 2015, at 5:36 PM, Mueller, Milton L <
> milton.mueller at pubpolicy.gatech.edu> wrote:
>
> I would oppose signing it.
>

> anticipated :-)
>
> My opposition comes partly from it being outside of NCUC’s remit as a GNSO
> constituency
>

> It’d obviously be easier to assess the extent of overlap if we had the USG
> text, but they’re holding it for now. My guess from the DC civil society
> folks who started this is that there’s some, hence my question.
>
> and partly from the fact that there are parts of the statement I don’t
> agree with. Even those parts I do agree with I think raise false
> expectations for no purpose other than the political posturing benefit of
> the proposers. Did I miss something or how many trillions of dollars are
> being allocated to this program in order to move African internet
> penetration up from 16% to, um, 30%? I see a lot of feelgood statements
> about how the world needs more internet and not a single concrete proposal
> that moves us toward that goal, and  I just have an inherent tendency to
> resist being drawn into these kinds of PR things.
>

> Skepticism can have its advantages.  Personally I don’t think we know
> enough to be dismissive ex ante about what will actually be done, but fair
> point.
>
> Good to hear more thoughts.
>
> Cheers
>
> Bill