[NCUC-DISCUSS] Global Connect Initiative?

Norbert Klein nhklein at gmx.net
Sun Sep 27 15:59:37 CEST 2015

and partly from the fact that there are parts of the statement I don’t
agree with. Even those parts I do agree with I think raise false
expectations for no purpose other than the political posturing benefit
of the proposers. Did I miss something or how many trillions of dollars
are being allocated to this program in order to move African internet
penetration up from 16% to, um, 30%? I see a lot of feelgood statements
about how the world needs more internet and not a single concrete
proposal that moves us toward that goal, and  I just have an inherent
tendency to resist being drawn into these kinds of PR things.

> Skepticism can have its advantages.  Personally I don’t think we know
> enough to be dismissive ex ante about what will actually be done, but
> fair point.
>
> Good to hear more thoughts.
>
> Cheers
>
> Bill

Of course I am in favor of helpful things. But living since two years in
the countryside in Cambodia, after 23 years in the capital (where I
created the first ISP in the country in 1994), I am quite frustrated
that I am again thrown back to a situation which I had almost forgotten:
low speed, high price, not stable connectivity - and all this where also
in Cambodia - in the center!!! - there is a lot of talk about how much
progress has been achieved by the present big actors (forgetting the
difficult years at the beginning where NGOs were crucial, a situation
once described with appreciation by an ITU report). Bigger business came
in only when there was substantial money to be made (in the center -
where there now is also 4G) - to make money is the purpose of
"business". I am also told that they are not "charities" so we have to
be content with what we get at the periphery.

The Global Connect Initiative is NOT based on those business principles?

Norbert Klein
Kep/Cambodia