[NCUC-DISCUSS] NCUC @ ICANN Dublin [addition]

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Thu Oct 1 10:15:51 CEST 2015

Hi

We have an addition to the NCUC schedule in Dublin.

> On Sep 30, 2015, at 3:45 PM, William Drake <william.drake at uzh.ch> wrote:
>
> Hello
>
> As some folks have probably noticed, ICANN has posted the schedule for Dublin https://dublin54.icann.org/en/dublin2015/schedule-full <https://dublin54.icann.org/en/dublin2015/schedule-full>.  It seems a little bit rough drafty, so some sessions will probably get moved around, and the helpful message on every session that "There are no remote participation services available for this session at this time” will eventually be replaced with RP info, e.g. at the URLs below.  In the meanwhile, I thought I’d just quickly bring to your attention what we have planned at the constituency level (NB all times local, currently UTC +1).  We will get mention of these onto ncuc.org <http://ncuc.org/> as well.

Saturday 17 October 14:00-15:00 IST
Brief Public Exec. Committee Meeting followed by Historical Discussion
Room: Liffey BR4
Remote participation details forthcoming

The outgoing EC will have a brief public meeting and then we will shift gears.  One of my small frustrations has been that despite 16 years of activity, NCUC has fairly little institutional memory captured anywhere so that people, particularly new members, can get more sense of what we’ve done and where we’ve come from. We did add a couple little bits of Milton reminiscing to the website http://www.ncuc.org/about/history/ <http://www.ncuc.org/about/history/> but with a birthday party the next day it seems a good opportunity to do more.  So taking advantage of ICANN’s provision of recording and transcription, I’ve asked the two principle founders, Milton and Kathy Kleiman, to sit with me and do a little dialectical oral history.  If any other ‘old timers’ who remember the early years want to join in, all the better, we’ll capture your thoughts and the transcript can later be edited down to something readable on the website.  So I’d encourage any members who do not have to be in the Council meeting (and apologies to those who do) to come along for the conversation.

Oh, and re: the birthday party,

> Saturday, 17 October - 16:30 to 20:00 IST
> NCUC Community Outreach Event, followed by reception
> Room: L4 Foyer
> https://dublin54.icann.org/en/dublin2015/schedule/sat-ncuc-outreach <https://dublin54.icann.org/en/dublin2015/schedule/sat-ncuc-outreach>
>

> Sunday, 18 October -  19:00 to whenever
> NCUC Sixteenth Birthday Party
> The Dean Hotel
> 33 Harcourt St, Dublin 2, Ireland
> deanhoteldublin.ie <http://deanhoteldublin.ie/>
> Map: http://bit.ly/1WxJhQM <http://bit.ly/1WxJhQM>
> +353 (01) 607 8110

I’ve invited a number of other folks from the community that we’ve worked with in various capacities, so it hopefully will be a rather robust event.  I promised them that Milton would be ready to arm wrestle all comers, which apparently has broad appeal ;-)  We will take a brief break an hour or so in to have a wee drab of collective reminiscing and kum ba yah and then get back to the serious business of drinking and carousing.