[NCUC-DISCUSS] Acceptance of nomination for NCUC EC

Mueller, Milton L milton at gatech.edu
Sun Nov 8 00:18:21 CET 2015

Tapani:

> I have heard horror stories of US banking system before, but it did not occur
> to me it could actually be so bad that you can't share a bank account with
> someone in another state.

I don't think the US is that different from anywhere else in this regard.

> It might be worth considering incorporating NCUC in some easier jurisdiction.

;-) this sounds like the IANA debate. These kinds of comments are completely unhelpful unless you know of a specific jurisdiction and one knows a lot about the legal properties of that state and how it differs/is better/is worse than the current one. E.g., see below

> What do you think of a non-US jurisdiction for incorporating NCSG, and of
> Estonia in particular?

It sounds like a great idea, a transnational corporate identity - you probably know enough about my views to know that I like that. But the devil is in the details. That would have to be explored carefully.
E.g., did you read this?

"Establishing an Estonian bank account currently requires one in-person meeting at the bank, and is at the sole discretion of our banking partners."

And this:

"e-Residency does not automatically establish tax residency. To learn about taxation and to avoid double taxation please consult a tax professional."

Also, tax-exempt status for donations would be important, so we might still have to get 501 3 C if we wanted to get donations from certain people.

So, my only campaign promise to you is this:
1. I will help do the homework. If Estonia e-residency is the best for us, we will do it
2. On the whole, I am completely uninterested in any symbolic statements about leaving the US for the sake of leaving the US. As Treasurer and as former NCUC chair and GNSO Council member, I am deeply aware of the practical aspects of administering the constituency and am only interested in making that easier, better, more productive.