[NCUC-DISCUSS] Represent NCUC at this meeting? International Dialogue on Gender Equality in the Media to Be Held in Geneva

McLaughlin, Lisa mclauglm at miamioh.edu
Thu Nov 5 04:03:39 CET 2015

Hi DeeDee and all,

Approximately 6 of us are representing the 'research wing' of this
initiative through the IAMCR. There is much to be said--too much at this
hour, US EST--and not enough that has happened in practice. The event to
which your refer occurs 2 years following the beginning of the GAMAG
initiative. I can share a great deal of information on a number of subjects
which haven't been addressed, but one bit of information that I can share
with certainty is that, while UNESCO may help a few persons from the Global
South with funding, for all practical purposes, there is no funding
available for nearly all participants.

All in all, despite a great deal of hard work, UNESCO's representatives for
the GAMAG have been difficult in respect to communication and
responsibility. Our small, 6-member IAMCR group has accomplished more--in
respect to dealing with approaches and plans for the GAMAG--than the entire
GAMAG network (in my view).

I very much would like to attend the event in December, which, among others
things, involves acquiring donors. However, even though I have been on
UNESCO and IAMCR committees for the past two year, no funding is
forthcoming. I could share so much more about how we've had to maneuver in
this environment, but I think that I've answered your question.

Along with others who have worked diligently on this initiative, I've come
to the conclusion that UNESCO has neither the will nor the resources to
support this initiative. Also, I remained amazed that the various directors
of UNESCO who have some control over this initiative all are men.

Very best regards,

Lisa

*For MJF course waitlist, go to this site*: http://units.miamioh.edu/mjf/

Please note that my e-mail address has changed to *mclauglm at miamioh.edu
<mclauglm at miamioh.edu>*. Messages sent to my former address will no longer
be forwarded after May 31, 2014.

Lisa McLaughlin, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Department of Media, Journalism & Film and Women's,
Gender, & Sexuality Studies Program
Miami University-Ohio
USA

Contact: