[NCUC-DISCUSS] Candidate Statement for European Representative of NCUC Executive Committee

farzaneh badii farzaneh.badii at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 10:20:04 CET 2015

Please find below my candidate statement. If you have any questions and
want to know more about me and my activities within ICANN and my plans as
an EC member (if I get elected) , please do not hesitate to contact me.

*STATEMENT OF FARZANEH BADII*

*CANDIDATE FOR EUROPEAN REGION REPRESENTATIVE ON THE NCUC EXECUTIVE
COMMITTEE*

*1. Why do you want to serve on the EC?*

*Positive impact on NCUC operational and the administrative matters*: The
Executive Committee (EC) is one of the important pillars of NCUC governance
structure. The EC influences the operational and administrative matters of
NCUC and allows the members to get engaged with the substance of ICANN
policy and makes the non-commercial users participation within ICANN more
effective.  I have strong policy experience from both my professional and
volunteer activities; I will carry out these tasks efficiently, and use my
skills to work with and support my colleagues.

*In-reach and outreach*: I specifically want to serve on EC to help with
in-reach and outreach. My strategies consist of reaching out to those
active in other Internet governance (IG) organisations and who are not yet
active in NCUC. I also would like to conduct outreach beyond those already
within the IG field and create interest in wider community especially
technical community activists.

I hope to seek out European and other non-commercial users and raise
awareness about NCUC's important mission of protecting the rights of
non-commercial users on the Internet. I also want to focus on potential
members in those countries that have not been active or do not have a
member in NCUC. I also would like to organize in-reach, by communicating
individually with the new and old NCUC members who are less active and
explain what we do and how they can get engaged; ideally I would like to
give them a personalized plan of action based on their experience that
would allow them to become active in different initiatives.

*Strengthening women’s presence:* I also have plans for strengthening
women's presence within NCUC. To start, this can be done by informing
various women IG coalitions, communicating and coordinating to ensure they
are informed about NCUC activities, and why our work is relevant to them.

2.* Provide a brief biography of recent experience, associations, and
affiliations relevant to serving on the Executive Committee. Describe the
relevance of your personal and professional experience to serve on the NCUC
Executive Committee, and identify any conflicts of interests you might
have.*

*Academic and professional background: *I received my bachelor degree from
Mazandaran University in Iran, and then moved to England and received my
masters’ degree in international law at Kingston University.

I worked in Switzerland for the United Nations Internet Governance Forum
and am currently a doctoral candidate at Hamburg University, Germany. I am
based in Berlin and a fellow at the Humboldt Institute for Internet and
Society. As you can gather, I have lived, studied and worked in a number of
European countries, namely the UK, Switzerland and Germany. I speak
English, reasonable French and am learning German (and am a native Farsi
speaker).

*Substantive and operational experience:* I work with global and European
organizations and think tanks active in IG, for example the Internet
Governance Project (Milton Mueller and Brenden Kuerbis) and Internet and
Jurisdiction Project (Bertrand de La Chapelle and Paul Fehlinger). I have
worked with the UN IGF and EuroDIG (European Internet Governance Forum) and
am familiar with their organizational structures and have carried out
administrative and operational tasks that facilitate participation in
policymaking processes. I have arranged the UN-IGF meeting both in person
and remotely, and have organized and managed many of the preparatory
processes. I am in close contacts with many IG initiatives in Europe and
this will help me recruiting new members.

*Experience within ICANN:* Within ICANN, I have been active in discussions
of the CCWG-accountability of ICANN and have helped promote NCUC goals in
the CCWG. I am formulating a working party on visas to overcome the
challenges for obtaining visa to attend ICANN meetings. I have been a part
of the fellowship program and belong to its mentorship program, this
experience help me support new NCUC members as well. I am also working on
the transparency issues of ICANN which needs specific attention.

*Within broader IG landscape*, I am carrying out research on ccTLD policy
and on Regional Internet Registries' accountability. I have a broad
knowledge of the IG ecosystem.  I am active in other Internet governance
processes, such as the IGF, at the recent IGF in Brazil I co-organized a
workshop on the IANA transition and a dynamic coalition on accountability.
I have also organized workshops on online dispute resolution (IGF-Baku) and
fiber optic issues (IGF-Turkey).

*3. The EC performs several functional responsibilities for the
Constituency.  What level of time commitment can you bring to your EC role
on a weekly and overall basis?  Describe any concerns or limitations on
your ability to attend online meetings of the Executive Committee and ICANN
Meetings in person. *

I am fully committed to the EC. I have other projects to work on, however I
have considered the time commitment before accepting the nomination.  I
mainly manage my own work schedule and can commit to being able to join
calls at most times of day/night. I am fortunate that my research and work
interests often overlap with ICANN, so devoting more time it quite easy. It
is also intellectually rewarding.  I already travel extensively for my
work/research, I understand the potential EC schedule and it is
acceptable.

*4. Communication with the membership is critical. How would you keep
members apprised of your EC-related activities?*

Communication strategies: I think we need to be transparent in the work of
the EC, and will work with my EC colleagues to make this happen. I will
have a separate mailing list for the European members in order to inform
them about important issues that are being discussed at ICANN as well as my
progress and my role. I will provide a quarterly report of my activities
and have quarterly teleconferences and also on demand teleconferences. I
will have a separate Twitter account for the Europeans to be able to reach
out to me at any time and receive updates easily. I also do not bind myself
to one means of communication, if the European members have different
preferences as regards to communication tools, I will happily consider
them.

*5. How do you foresee NCUC’s function, scale, or role changing in the
future? What areas of ICANN policy, if any, need more attention and why?  *

The NCUC will to continue to grow, and we are already a large constituency,
putting the membership management system in place is a priority.  I would
like to see members being able to learn from each other.  The skills
members have are one of our big assets.  I have experience with
membership/volunteer management.

The EC is not really a policy body in NCUC, however, in the short term
implementing the transition proposals, and supporting non-commercial
principles in that process should be on NCUC agenda.

We need to also ensure work stream 2 commitments in CCWG-accountability,
are honored and implemented.  Protecting privacy, and the work of the human
rights working party are also of importance. We should also ensure that the
new meeting strategy supports non-commercial user participation and
interests. I will be happy to inform the European members about these
issues.

Best regards,

--
Farzaneh