[NCUC-DISCUSS] My statement for NCUC election

Rafik Dammak rafik.dammak at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 15:37:41 CET 2015

Hi everyone,

I am sending here my statement for the NCUC election and responding to the
questions:

1. Why do you want to serve as NCUC chair?

I am looking to continue my volunteering work and serve the non-commercials
as I did before. I used to be NCSG chair and after some time of thinking I
 responded to the request of several members to run for this position. For
that reason, I would like to spend the time on continuing the work started
before and moving up to a next stage for NCUC. On other hand I would like
to prepare the next leaders, making NCUC resilient and stronger.

2. Provide a brief biography of recent experience, associations, and
affiliations relevant to serving on the Executive Committee. Describe the
relevance of your personal and professional experience to serve on the NCUC
Executive Committee, and identify any conflicts of interests you might have.

I have an extensive experience of ICANN and GNSO  processes and policies
issues: I used to be a GNSO councillor for NCSG from 2009 to 2012, Nomcom
representative for NCUC in 2012-2013. I also used to be the NCUC
representative to NCSG Executive Committee.
I was the co-chair of the joint new gTLD applicant support working group
and I am currently the co-chair of the ICANN cross-community working group
on Internet Governance.

I was the chair of NCSG from 2013 to 2015 and I do think that gives me
insight on the expectations, requirements and duties of the role of chair:
having experience to work with ICANN staff, executive committee and other
ICANN groups, planning for meetings, doing the admin work, setting plans etc

In other spaces within civil, I was member of the OECD CSISAC steering
committee and I am currently member of Internet Rights and Principles
Dynamic Coalition steering committee.

I have no conflict of interests.

3. The EC performs several functional responsibilities for the
Constituency.  What  level of time commitment can you bring to your EC role
on a weekly and overall basis?  Describe any concerns or limitations on
your ability to attend online meetings of the Executive Committee and ICANN
Meetings in person.

I am committing 10 hours to 15 hours and more in weekly basis , which can
mean 40 hours in monthly basis. From my previous experience as chair, I am
familiar with the peak period of work e.g. preparing for ICANN meeting.

I am regularly attending confcall for working group, NCSG confcall etc so
able to do the same and organize the online meeting for EC. I am able to
attend ICANN meetings.

4. Communication with the membership is critical. How would you keep
members apprised of your EC-related activities?

I am planning to focus on engagement and communication among other areas. I
will continue the work I used to  do in term of informing the membership
about ICANN activities, announcements, public comments , ongoing policies
discussion, NCUC activities and  EC decisions, and any other area of
interest for NCUC. I will do that via the mailing list, leveraging existing
spaces such NCUC website, wiki, twitter account but also possibly having a
regular confcall or webinar.

I am also going to work more on 1-to-1 engagement to tailor it to the
specific needs of organizational and individual members for matter of
effectiveness: providing clear advices/support about participation in
ICANN/GNSO processes, briefing about current policy issues, mentorship for
newcomers and participants in working group etc.

I am also planning to blog more using NCUC website to provide briefings,
information sharing etc. also levering other approaches such as videos,
newsletter etc. Communications will be coordinated with other EC members
and involving existing comm team.

5. How do you foresee NCUC’s function, scale, or role changing in the
future? What areas of ICANN policy, if any, need more attention and why?

As strategy, I would like to  work with new EC to focus on:
* strengthening NCUC operational part: based on what is done before to
continue the work on membership management, communication, improving
 committees and ad-hoc teams work, improving the admin support, improving
policy support for NCSG, revamping the website in term of content,
experimenting new tools for engaging members.
* strengthening NCUC structurally: incorporating it, increasing its budget,
working on partnerships with other groups for specific projects &
initiatives, finalising the bylaw update and managing that process.
*Improving NCUC communication: continue the work already done and pushing
for more NCUC visibility within and outside ICANN,  making regular public
statement to indicate NCUC positions.
* working with other stakeholders within its direct environment in
GNSO:liaising with other groups, coordinating joint efforts etc
* improving membership engagement and participation: with the steady growth
of NCUC, it is important to scale out our membership management  effort ,
improving members involvement in order to expand the pool of volunteers.
Listening to our members needs and expectations from NCUC.
* Outreach: continue the work done in that domain and improving it with
better evaluation and follow-up, more targeted efforts to bring new players

in term of policy, the focus in mid-term is clearly about the ICANN
accountability process and the finalization of IANA stewardship transition.
New and critical policy processes are going to start soon or already
started  and we have to follow them closely: new whois policies, rights
protection mechanisms review in particular UDRP, review of new gTLD program
and the work on next round. we ought to be heavily involved there.

Best Regards,

Rafik