[NCUC-DISCUSS] NCUC French translation project [was Chinese Translation Project]

Timothe Litt litt at acm.org
Wed Mar 18 12:52:48 CET 2015

I won't get far into the French argument: I'm no expert.  But to
Nicolas' point on the English equivalent, which illuminates a larger issue:

This is a common issue with jargon.  To decide, consider your audience.

The way to understand how this diverges is to expand the acronym.
Here's a sentence from the home page:

The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers is a non-profit
organization.

If one removes the article, it makes no sense.

On the other hand:
  IBM is a for-profit organization.

Here, the acronym has been turned into a noun by years of common usage.
  "International Business Machines" is a for-profit organization.
barely works, because it's implictly
  International Business Machines Incorporated is a for-profit organization.

So the issue is whether ICANN is a well-known enough acronym to be
considered a noun, rather than something that people need to expand
in-place to understand.

In an introductory document, on behalf of the audience, I say no.  In
any language.

Within the group of people who live and breathe ICANN policy and
politics, the answer can be different.  The ICANN sure is a complex
replacement for one guy and his secretary.

And that's the larger challenge for writing any document:  know your
audience.

Donc, je suis d'accord avec Jean.  Troisième.

Timothe Litt
ACM Distinguished Engineer
if any, on the matters discussed.