[NCUC-DISCUSS] Fellows Announced for the BA Meeting

Remmy Nweke remmyn at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 14:57:24 CET 2015

Bill
+1 from me
Remmy Nweke
@ITRealms

Sent from my Windows Phone
------------------------------
From: William Drake <william.drake at uzh.ch>
Sent: 08/03/2015 11:43
To: Walid ALSAQAF <walid.al-saqaf at oru.se>
Cc: NCUC-discuss <Ncuc-discuss at lists.ncuc.org>
Subject: Re: [NCUC-DISCUSS] Fellows Announced for the BA Meeting

Hi

Thanks for the input.  As you may recall, I had proposed to the
NonContracted Parties House that we organize a conference in BA on the
Friday prior, making use of the funds the staff set aside for all parts of
the community based on the three successful NCUC conferences
http://www.ncuc.org/events/conferences-and-workshops/.  Staff very much
welcomed the idea, as the money is in the FY 15 budget expiring end June.
The CSG constituencies expressed support as well, and did so again at our
meeting in DC.  But since then I've heard nothing from them, and don't know
whether they're serious about doing the work and getting people in town
early for that.  Were it to happen, NCUC would do one of the five sessions
(the easiest way to do such an event would be for each of the five
constituencies to organize their own, rather than try to agree
comprehensively on the full program).

If it does not happen, then we could go back to staff and say ok the others
are not focused on this but we can do something and see if they'll fund us
on a stand alone basis to organize a few hours worth of activity.  Of
course, any such meeting presumes that people would be willing to fly in
early to BA, probably at their own cost, to attend.  That worked very well
for the Singapore 2014 conference, we had @ 130-150 people stay for the
entire day discussion of NETmundial, but that was in part because we made
it a really cross-community event and loaded the panels with people form
all the other silos.  Unless we followed the same model we might not get
the turn-out.  This was part of the thinking in proposing a NCPH event....

I guess I will ping the others and try to determine if there's still
interest, and we can go from there.

Best

Bill